Sign in to follow this  

'05 525 EXC Report - First Ride

Hey guys,

Got my first ride in today (just got the suspension done). All I can say is WOW :cry: There is so much freakin power, it's just unbelieveable. I was hillclimb racing several people on CRF450's and 250 2 strokes, nobody could keep up with me. To compare the 525 EXC to an XR400 (which was my previous bike) just doesn't do the KTM justice. The new RFS's are in their own league. And boy did I love the 'magic button,' even though my XR400 was easy to start, it just saves some energy. If you want a bike that EASILY gets the front end off the ground anytime you'd like, this is the bike to get.

The only thing I had a problem with was the jetting, and it wasn't such a big deal until I got into the mountain trails. The dealer supposedly changed the jetting for my riding, so I'll have to figure out what to do. The other problem I had (which was in another post of mine) was how crappy the rear wheel is. It looks like it has been ridden about 20 hours with the wear and tear on it...KTM must have gone with a really soft tire.

If you're thinking of getting a new big bore four stroke, keep the 525 in the back of your head as it won't disappoint you! If anyone has any more questions about how I liked the bike, shoot me a PM! :cry: :cry:

Brian

Brian glad you liked it how did the suspension feel?

Give me a call Tuesday (sugery tomorrow) and tell me what was off on the jetting and I'll point you in the right direction.

Hey Travis,

Suspension felt pretty good. My dad and I did the Frazier trail up in Gorman, so it was really rough.

As for the jetting...I'm almost embarassed to say what I did. I thought the choke went back in the off position by itself. So of course, I pulled it out with my left hand, started the bike, and let go of the choke. I did Frazier mountain, and of course, the bike was coughing at idle to 20 mph. I was wondering though, if the bike was running lean, and I was running with the choke on (making it run richer), it would have been very lean without the choke on, correct?

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow! I'll be ready for you to help me with the valve adjustment as soon as you are able to.

Brian

PS, that handlebar adjustment worked great when I was riding standing up (which I had to do more of with the hard seat) :cry: