Sign in to follow this  

How to explain momentum to quad riders?

I am recently having my first 'quad' experience. Long story short my wife's dad and his buddy got new quads. They both previously had 2 wheels but old age has forced them to 4. We went out today for the first time on their 'new rides'. We happened to bump into a group of 4 other quads(Not a bike in site) in the BFE riding spot that I like.

So we start riding and the first big hill came. At this point I was following behind simply because I like to fall back and ride my own ride at times. This turned out to be a huge mistake because for some reason the quads don't go up the hill as fast as a bike. They would get a little ways up and slow down to go around some rocks and even stop at times. How the hell am I supposed to deal with this? Eventually I just ended up stopping at the bottom of the hills and waited at least 5 minutes for them to go through. Keep in mind this is deep Oregon forest so it's not really a small hill, it's sometimes .25 mile of hill. Any advice on riding with quads so I can make my new father in law happy? At this point I'd just assume not go out with them. They were commenting on the fact that I was getting stuck on the hills. Dude, don't park it and let me carry some momentum up it. 😢

Did I mention as soon as we got the the sweet look-out spot the 4 guys we met up with all cracked open a Coors Light. They totally lived up to the stereotypical quad riders I've seen others speak of.

Thanks for listening to my rant 😢

😢 :cry: 😢

If you're going to ride with quads, get used to it. The 4x4 quads are the worst. They'll stop in the middle of the gnarliest hills and take pictures. Really annoying.

Lead them...

If you're going to ride with quads, get used to it. The 4x4 quads are the worst. They'll stop in the middle of the gnarliest hills and take pictures. Really annoying.

Lead them...

Yeah but that's the crappy part. They know the trails, if I lead then we would be lost 😢 That was the frustrating part, I was at the mercy of them. I guess I need to learn the trails so I can tell them "Ya know, I think I'll lead this time". You're right, the guy on the 4x4 Grizzly and the Wolverine did park it a lot.

DDACT is right, stay in front. They kick up 100 times more dust than us, so it's a plus to avoid that on top of the stopping problem. Also, on trails they can't keep up unless you let them so it's easy to be the leader.

😢

DDACT is right, stay in front. They kick up 100 times more dust than us, so it's a plus to avoid that on top of the stopping problem. Also, on trails they can't keep up unless you let them so it's easy to be the leader.

😢

That's the truth, I was pretty much holding back all day long and that's where my frustration is coming from I think. It's hard to enjoy the ride when you're thinking "Great, is someone parked at the top of this hill?". Time to get a forest map and learn the routes. Thanks for the advice, I guess I learned first hand what others are talking about.

BTW-I definately like the WR better than a quad. They are fun for certain things but don't have the same relaxing feel.

How to explain momentum to a quad rider?? Take a coors light out thier cooler and let it roll down the hill... you will never see a 4x4 quad rider ride so fast when they chase after it... when they get back say "Now that was momentum"...

How to explain momentum to a quad rider?? Take a coors light out thier cooler and let it roll down the hill... you will never see a 4x4 quad rider ride so fast when they chase after it... when they get back say "Now that was momentum"...

Cute, twoblackbelts. Evidently you ran into the ones that haven't figured out the proper use of their onboard storage bins, aka the Glockboxes. 😢

On to the original question: On a quad, it's really easy to just stop halfway up a hill that is a real bugger on a dirtbike then just take off again. That, combined with the fact that most 4x4 quads don't respond well to going very fast over rough terrain, makes it unlikely they'll ever really "get it". OTOH, find someone on a performance quad that knows how to ride and you'll have a great time riding with them.

Man I hear you I know some quad riders like that but most of the ones I know are not like that one family I know rides them and doesn't wear the proper gear and I can't say I always do either but they still don't do stupid [@#$%&*!] like that and they are mainly 3 girls I ride with and sometimes others in the family but usually just them and they can smoke most of the people I have seen in the woods on bikes. They are some of the best riders I know. Then some of my other friends have a sport quad and a utility quad. I love riding them with them but I like my bike better for woods and stuff but quads are better at some things like in mud. Well they always wear helmets and stuff and ride very well. The one I usually ride with I can't say is the fastest but is a very good rider and would not stop on a hill. I have seen some people that are what is described here though and there cousins are like that and they were complaining about them saying the needed to get off there four wheelers if they were going to ride with no gear acting stupid like that. I ride fast with them and do wheelies and stuff and I love riding wheelies on quads for some reason I find it better than doing a wheelie on a bike.

Here's an easy way.

Take them to the dunes.

Have them stop near the top of a big one.

Unless it's a 4X4 with paddles on every corner.... they'll learn the value of momentum. 😢

Where are you riding that has lots of ATV trails? I'm just getting started into riding a bike. Looking for new places. I'm in Portland and am currently exploring HWY 6 and the Tillimook burn. Browns/Rogers camp, HorseCamp, Prison Camp etc., lots of trails there.

Cute, twoblackbelts. Evidently you ran into the ones that haven't figured out the proper use of their onboard storage bins, aka the Glockboxes. 😢

What? In Mexico? They were full of Tecate! 😢 :cry:

where to start? argh!

just put them at the top of a cliff, push them off, and on the way down say 'hey, you're building up momentum.'

then go get a map and learn your way around your riding area so you won't have to ride with kooks on quads.

i rode with some guys in their late 60's and mid 70's this year. they're still riding pretty intense singletrack. i don't see those guys getting old enough to need a quad (redneck wheelchair) anytime soon.

mw

Thanks for the feedback. What I came away is carry a staff and or knife and make sure I lead them up the hills. I'm sure the father-in-law is going to like my weapons. 😢

It makes sense why they ride the way they do I just guess quads and 2-wheelers were made to ride trails together. At least not with the group I was with. They are still talking trash about me gettin stuck on the hill, give me a break. I've heard from my wife "Dad said you had a pretty tough day yesterday" AGH.

Okay, how about this idea. Since you need them to lead the way most of the time so you don't get lost, wait at the bottom of each hill until one of them pulls this slow/stopping deal in the middle of the hill. Then blast up the hill and make a point of roosting the heck out of the quad as you pass.

Then at the top when they complain about getting roosted, just innocently and honestly say something like, "Sorry, but I have to keep up my momentum on the hill. When you stop like that, I don't have any choice but to pin it to get by...."

My bet is that they start to get the clue when they keep getting dirt and mud in their beers in the cup holders. Hey, roosting is a natural part of hillclimbing, right? 😢

Tell them that you only have one skinny little tire and you have to build up speed to make it to the top. Mention that it's pretty hard to turn around if you get stuck since the downhill leg won't be able to reach the ground.

My bet is that they start to get the clue when they keep getting dirt and mud in their beers in the cup holders. Hey, roosting is a natural part of hillclimbing, right? 😢

😢 The sad thing is that is true. They asked me if I wanted a beer and I had to pass on it. I now have a plan and now need to execute 😢

I ride quads, I have a modded to heck 400ex, but I dont go slow, I always wear full gear and I never drink or slow down when riding I always pin it just to let you guys know and I always stay on teh trail so as not to ruin public land and get kicked out and/or our sport closer to being shut down. I know this is going to sound really odd coming from a quad rider but I dont like other quad riders for the same reason you dont, they are slow and they stop for no freakin reason on hills or on trails for god knows why thats why I always ride with dirtbikers ( cant wait to get mine ). But when I am forced to ride with other quad riders I always set up points that we can meet up so I dont have to go slow and I always go in front cause I am the fastest out of all the quad riders I know. So man if you are faster than everyone in your group just set points to meet up on the trail, you go in front so you dont have to sit there and wait on them to get to the top, trust me I know how that is, thats why i always pin it up hills or whatever ever comes my way. I just want everyone to know that I ride a quad and I keep up with the bikes and everything so just cause I ride quads doesnt mean I am hella slow like all the other quad riders. But man I cant wait to get my yz, I will do so much freakin better on a bike, plus I like bikes more than quads, lol.

When riding with Quads it is a must to be in front!

The dust and slow hillclimbs are two things that ruin a trail day for me also.

In unfamiliar places I just ride ahead until I come to a intersection and wait to see which way the group wants to go. 😢