Sign in to follow this  

Small pickups, which one is the best?

I've been wanting to ride more and more and I'm tired of borrowing my parents vehicles and old ghetto trailer. I am thinking about selling my car ('93 Corolla), and getting a small pickup (ie ranger, dakota, s-10, tacoma). Those of you guys that have a small truck... do you like it?... is it reliable? How well does it carry a bike? How many bikes can it carry?

I would appreciate any small-truck related info you guys can throw at me. Thanks alot. :cry::cry:

i use to have a 02 toyota tacoma prerunner...that truck rocked...but it was too small for me, so i ended up gettin9 a 02 gmc sierra 2500hd crew cab,,,much much better,,,,

why dont you look into getting a used 1500 silverado or sierra or even a used tundra... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

why dont you look into getting a used 1500 silverado or sierra or even a used tundra... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'd like a full size truck, but I am an empty-pocketed college student and I drive ~20mi round trip to work every day, so I'd prefer a smaller truck that gets decent mpg. :cry:

why dont you look into getting a used 1500 silverado or sierra or even a used tundra... :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol:

I'd like a full size truck, but I am an empty-pocketed college student and I drive ~20mi round trip to work every day, so I'd prefer a smaller truck that gets decent mpg. :cry:

used tacoma will do you just fine and dandy :cry: :cry:

I'm not a big fan of mini trucks myself, I'd perfer a real truck.

Having said that, I've seen late 80s early 90s Chevy S-10s run 350,000+ miles with nothing but routine maintenance. My wife has a 89 with 200,000 miles on it that runs like a top. Just make sure ya get a stick tranny... the auto's in these little trucks were made for compact cars and will not last long.

If you end up with a S-10, I strongly recommend the 2.8V6, those little motors will run forever. :cry:

Avoid the japanese mini trucks, the steel used on them is so thin they'll rust through in 5 or 6 years

had a toyota tacoma V6 got 17 MPG sold it and bought a mazda b 2300(ranger) 30 mpg same thing but Mazda is a thousand bucks cheaper and the warrnty is four years and not three like ford! It has a 2.3 4 banger and it pulls my three rail trailer just fine. 65mph up the grape vine!

If you end up with a S-10, I strongly recommend the 2.8V6, those little motors will run forever. :cry:

Nah- that motor has a self-destruct feature at 100,000 mi.

Tell that to the one with 200,000 under the hood of my wife's 89, or the '91 my brother sold with 350,000 on it (still running when he sold it) :cry:

Im using a 2003 Nissan Frontier, rated too tow up too 5,000lbs.. Great truck, use it all the time too tow the bikes out.. You can probably find a older used Nissan cheap, do routine maintenance and should last forever..

You can probably find a older used Nissan cheap, do routine maintenance and should last forever..

What he said, and if it isn't rusted by now, you should be OK. Old Rangers seem to last well too.

Tell that to the one with 200,000 under the hood of my wife's 89, or the '91 my brother sold with 350,000 on it (still running when he sold it) :cry:

I don't need to talk to them. I had an S-10 Blazer once, and it was a POS. We all have our own opinions.

Based on your handle, I already know how you feel. :cry:

I've been wanting to ride more and more and I'm tired of borrowing my parents vehicles and old ghetto trailer. I am thinking about selling my car ('93 Corolla), and getting a small pickup (ie ranger, dakota, s-10, tacoma). Those of you guys that have a small truck... do you like it?... is it reliable? How well does it carry a bike? How many bikes can it carry?

I would appreciate any small-truck related info you guys can throw at me. Thanks alot. :cry::cry:

I've got a Dakota Club cab and it's great. Have had zero problems(Only 5k miles). It's a little taller than most small trucks so it's a pain to load the bike into. I'd go with something that has an extended cab and isn't too tall off the ground. :cry: The Tacoma is the obvious choice to me but they seem to be a bit overpriced, though they hold their value a lot better than most vehicles.

My Silverado sits garage and looks pretty and I use my S-10 as a daily driver and haul my bike to the track. The 2.2 Vortex 5 spd. in the S-10 may be gutless but the gas mileage is great and I can drive it about 4 days for the same $ as 1 in the Silverado. One suggestion, if you get a small truck get an ext. cab so you have a place to put your gearbag, helmet & boots on rainy days.

My Silverado sits garage and looks pretty and I use my S-10 as a daily driver and haul my bike to the track. The 2.2 Vortex 5 spd. in the S-10 may be gutless but the gas mileage is great and I can drive it about 4 days for the same $ as 1 in the Silverado. One suggestion, if you get a small truck get an ext. cab so you have a place to put your gearbag, helmet & boots on rainy days.

i second that..no matter what truck you get make sure you get the ext. cab...makes a world of differnece :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't need to talk to them. I had an S-10 Blazer once, and it was a POS. We all have our own opinions.

Based on your handle, I already know how you feel. :cry:

:cry: Yep, I'm a chevy man... I've owned and worked on just about every brand out there, and then I came back to the best.

Just because you blew your blazer up doesnt mean they're all POS, maintenance is everything on these trucks, a well maintained one will run forever, a badly maintained one will be lucky to see 40,000 miles.

Get an el camino if you dont need 4wd and a lot of clearance. I had a 69 that I put bikes. I loved that thing

Chris

well i get to drive trucks of all years and of all conditions. i seriously have driven just about every car imaginable besides really rare cars. oh i'm a valet by the way.

newer ranger = no

newer s-10 = no

tacoma = heck yes

frontier = heck yes

shoot the frontiers and tacomas run smoother at 130k than the rangers and s-10's do at 60k.

old ranger = better than old s-10.

nissan hardbody = better than both the rangers, s-10's, and are equal to old toyotas.

like i said i have driven all those trucks with zero miles and with 200k miles on them.

i'm not saying that there are not some good s-10's out there. or some good rangers. but on a average that's the way the trucks rank.

oh and dakota's. well i have not driven one that i liked. shoot i test drove a 98 v6 before i bought my frontier and the thing could not get out of a wet paper bag.

I own a fullsize Chevy....

Bu t I've worked on them all and IMHO a Toyota will probably will be the best bet :cry: