Sign in to follow this  

Water Logged XR50

Ok, My 8 year old son has an 03 XR50. I replaced the stock air box with a Uni pod filter. Well today he decides to see if the thing can float. He was riding with a friend of mine and he crossed a HUGE puddle where the water went just barely near the top of the tires.

Now, from what my son tells me, the bike just stall. So he and my friend had to walk back to the truck. Tried to kick it over and the thing is almost rock hard. Took out the spark plug and drained some water out. Tried kicking it again, still hard but now will move just a bit.

He really screwed this up right?

Well loaded all the bikes up and went home, Pissed.

Started taking everything part, now this is my first time taking apart the big stuff.

Well I finally got the cylinder off and the piston is really black on top.

Now is the rod on an XR50 have a curve to it or not?

How much is this gonna cost me????

Also is it worth just to go up to a bigger bore kit since I have to replace things now?

What would you guys recommend for a 8 year old kid who like to jump a bit and do some trail rides?

Thanks.

Here is the easiest way to rebuild the XR50 crank assembly

click HERE

It is cheaper, and faster to replace the whole assembly, than to try and rebuild it. The assembly comes with the crank bearings and the timing chain drive gear already installed. All you will need is a complete gasket set, and you're all set.

Might as well put in a new set of piston and rings as well as they are probably shot from all of the water and dirt that got in. But just to let you know what happened, when you son rode into the puddle it gulped some water and the motor did what is called a hydro lock, as water wont compress, something else had to bend and that ended up being the rod.

You probably have the same issue I did when I drowned my XR200. The muffler is full of water, and you can dump all the water out of the cylinder, but water flows right back in via the muffler. Take the muffler off, drain the carb, and set the bike upside down for a while, put it together you may still have a running bike.

Might as well put in a new set of piston and rings as well as they are probably shot from all of the water and dirt that got in. But just to let you know what happened, when you son rode into the puddle it gulped some water and the motor did what is called a hydro lock, as water wont compress, something else had to bend and that ended up being the rod.

Yup, once I get some money together I am gonna start ordering some parts. I am going to replace the piston and rings.

True, the rod is bent. No water in the muffler though.

I am just thinking of leaving it stock. eventually I am going to order parts when I have some money.

Is there any difference from OEM stuff and aftermarket???

Also how hard is it to take the case apart. Looks like I have to in order to replace the rod.

Thanks everyone.