Sign in to follow this  

Bike not happy, rough idle, backfiring. Ideas?

Red season opened yesterday, so I too my 03 wr out. I had been riding it about every two weeks or so through out the summer. I cleaned the oil filter and re-oiled. It was hard to start and would not idle very well. I drained the carb bowl. Mid range was fine, high end was fine, but it backfired quite a bit through out the day......do I have some sort of clogged jet? What should I be looking at?

Did you try adjusting your fuel screw, or was your idle set too low? If that stuff checks out I would clean the whole carb out and pay special attention to the pilot jet. It may me clogged. Does is start with the hot start after the bike is warm? The hot start leans it out. If it will only start without the hot start then you are probaly running lean. That is were I would start, those are the simplest things to check.

Check the carb mount to the head. Rubber sleave held between carb and Head with 2 clamps. Mine losen'd because of a wreck and was suck'n air. Crank'd fined but would backfire and was overheat'n. Loose clamps caused it to run lean.

Just check the clamps and inspect the boot for slits.

Did you let the filter sit for a day to let the filter oil set? If you didn't, then you probably sucked filter oil into the air jet. If you look at the throat of the carbs intake, you'll see a little jet below the main throat opening. Take that out and clean it with carb cleaner, and also shoot some into its passage, then flush with compressed air.

You can avoid this if you let the air filter sit for a day to let the filter oil take a set. Also be careful not to over-oil the filter.

Rough idle and backfiring are probably symptoms of lean jetting. Does it run better with the choke on? If so, then it is lean.

If the bike runs worse, then verify the air bleed jet per the previous post.

Pump gas these days is really crappy and can gum things up in a very short time, sometimes.

If it is judged to be lean, then I would remove the pilot jet and verify it is clean. It would not be a bad idea to drain the gas and replace with fresh fuel.

Good luck with it.