Sign in to follow this  

HI, is 2002 xr400 a good bike

Hi guys,,My names Marty and im a newbie:-) from australia

Anyway ive been looking at buying a 2002 xr 400 and i was wondering what you guys thought of this model,,,is there anything i should be looking for in perticuler with this model and should a save some money and just buy an earlier

model say a 98 / 97,,is there mutch difference.

The bike has 2400 km on it

Any help would be very mutch appreciated

Thanks in advance

The 02 is the same bike as the 98. It will be fine. Go to a 48T rear sprocket and new chain. Gearing will be perfect then.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Go to a 48T rear sprocket and new chain.

Newbie question: Can you explain the advantage of going to a 48T rear sprocket instead of the stock 45T. Does the terain determine what size sprocket you should run?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Marty! Hows it goen!

I Finaly found another Aussie!! :cry: Im in Geraldton Western Australia. Only completly on the other side of the country!

Anyway, You cant go wrong with the 02 model XR400, Ive got a 03 model XR400, its bloody brilliant! Ive actually done 17,000kms on it so far and it hasnt missed a beat! I love it.

Ive also done several tirps to Perth, which is 450 kays each way, and it runs fine on the highway, then on the week ends i go cutten up through the bush! and its got plenty of power for that!

Its absolutly Bullet Proof! I spose the only thing that may put you off is the kick start? Personaly it doesnt bother me at all, you get it down to a fine art after a while, Its a Peice a Piss.

Buy it and join the club! :cry:

Yes, the kind of riding you'll be doing determines what gearing you should run. The stock 15/45 is good if you're gonna be riding roads and commuting on it. It's too high for trail tho IMO. Instead of the 48 rear, I'd drop the front to a 14. It's easier, dang near the same gearing as what a 48 rear would be and you won't have to replace the chain.

HI PAUL/Fellow aussie,,,,cheers guys i purchased a 2002 last night,,not the one i originaly looked at this ones heaps better,,,has a procircuit t4 pipe,, afam bars,,bash plate,,and b,busters and has done 2000km with books,

Couldnt beleive the torque it has after not riding for 8 years and my last bike being a 86 xr 250,,, lifted the front wheel real easy,,not sure how mutch difference the pc pipe makes but geez it has some balls.

Hopfully i too can help someone out on this forum one day

Thanks Marty

Yes thats a good point actually, Those bloody Kangaroos! nearly hit one a while ago cutting up though the bush!

AND the Emu's! their Barsteds! You dont know which way there gona Bolt! But I still do chase them! its fun, They [@#$%&*!] em self! :cry:

Another Aussie here in the middle and down the bottom :cry: