Sign in to follow this  

DRZ adventures of a ReNewbie (long)

Results of first dirt in 18 years:

1)After driving 160 miles, unloaded the bike and while I'm gassing it up I notice the key's not in the ignition :cry: While I finish gassing I'm glad I've studied the electrical system and decide to hotwire it. Put the gas cap back on and guess what? :lol: There's the key!

2) No ones around yet so I decide to go down a couple of short trails marked "beginner" on the map to get used to things. Not good. Practically stopping at each turn, legs flailing around like a complete squid but after a few minutes I'm getting back in the swing of things. Head back to the truck and meet a guy who will show an old timer around.

3) This guy knows my situation and says he will take it easy on me. Things are going well and I'm keeping up when he flies up this very steep, root infested hill and I think "no way" but do it anyway. I'll never wish I still had a 2-stroke again :cry: . Going downhill now I drop off of a root about 3 feet into a wide rut, not looking ahead like I should be I'm going off the trail into a gully. I bounce off a tree with my shoulder (the SP1 pressure suit works real well, no bruises)and get back on the trail. Make it back to the truck for a drink and tweak the rebound on the shock cause it's kicking up a little. Following this guy was the best thing I could have done. I'm feeling a lot more confidant and the reflexes from the old days are coming back.

4)Get ready to go again and pull up to the other guys truck to say thanks. I say I'm going exploring, take off, stall the bike and drop it on the ground in front of everyone. No one laughs, just 1 guy says "good luck".

5)Make a few loops, take a few breaks, then : THE MUDHOLE OF DEATH. Going down a long twisting hill and I've just noticed there are no tracks from other riders when I see the mud. This looks like it could be slick, front wheel straight, steady throttle, good speed, bike stops quicker than the most hi dollarest brake setup you could find. Mud over the top of both axles and it's just standing there. I step off onto dry ground between 2 trees and look the situation over :cry: . Took me almost an hour to get it out of there.

Conclusion: This day was the most fun I've had since the bass tourney when I had 3 over 6#s in the livewell and was culling 3# fish. The Racetech fork setup is excellent. The DRZ is :lol::cry::cry:

Sounds like my dirt riding experiences after not riding in 30+ years. I'm still re-learning. It's funny how as one gets older, the reflexes, balance, eyesight, and cahonas change. :cry: I'm fallin a lot more than I remember, but I'm still having a blast. :cry:

Conclusion: This day was the most fun I've had since the bass tourney when I had 3 over 6#s in the livewell and was culling 3# fish.

Any day on my 400 is better then a day of fishing... :cry: :cry:

I love fishing and I love riding. I had to make a tough decision new carb for the bike or new trolling motor for the boat. I compromised and bought both. Would have liked to go first class with the trolling motor but a regular foot control will have to do, as for the carb the edelbrock came for a good price was complete and is a good improvement over the cv carb on the low end but I think the cv pulls better on the top end between 80 and 90 mph.

I have to disagree. Staying on when by all the laws of the universe you should have fallen off is a LOT more fun.

Almost exactly. but my rear wheel was buried deeper (over the hub) and it was surrounded by trees

Good story, sounds a little too familiar though. This spring was my first time in 20 years. It's taken a while but the skills are coming back.

Apparently there's quite a few of us "old farts" trying to have some fun again!

:cry: :cry: :cry: