Sign in to follow this  

Water in tranny oil...best way to flush??

Went riding on the weekend and hit some new trails complete with several river crossings. I took in some water through (I assume) a vent hole and ended up with nice creamy gray oil in the transmission side.

Drained the tranny oil yesterday, then tried to flush the tranny by pouring some gas in and sloshing it around. Let it all drain, then put new oil in it and ran around for about 3-4 minutes. Checked the oil...yep still that creamy gray slop.

I'm thinking of draining and putting in some kerosene, or diesel then running it for a few minutes to let it splash around before I drain it and re-fill with oil.

Any other suggestions?

PS: Engine oil (CRF250) looked fine but I changed it anyways.

Kerosene absorbs water but alcohol is the best. Many fuel treatments (especially for boats) contain alcohol and will absorb water. after draining refill will oil run for a few minutes then drain again and refill. That should solve your problem.

Tranny's are an absolute abomination. Why would a man want to dress up like a woman?

Oh you mean water in the GEARBOX oil,

Sorry......... :cry:

I'm thinking of draining and putting in some kerosene, or diesel then running it for a few minutes to let it splash around before I drain it and re-fill with oil.

If i'm reading this right, you plan on putting kero' or diesel in your gearbox, then running it for a few minutes etc. :cry: If that is right, DO NOT PROCEED!!!. I would use kerosene to flush the g/box, but then thouroughly clean all the kero' out, before refilling with g/box oil, THEN run it for a few minutes. You may have to drain, flush and refill a couple of times, to get all the milky oil out. I would use the kerosene over alcohol based agents, as the alcohol could possibly dry out (shrink) any gaskets or seals it contacts.

I would use diesel. Fill up gearbox and drain 2-3 times then fill with oil and drain that. fill with oil run for 2-3 min then change the oil. Where in Ontario are you. I live there also. :cry: Plus Diesel is easy to get and real cheap.

Where in Ontario are you. I live there also. :cry:

Just outside of Cambridge, and you? Do you do any racing? All the CMA stuff is done for the year (bummer) so I've been heading down to the 'States'. Headed to the GNCC in Ohio this weekend.

I would use kerosene to flush the g/box, but then thouroughly clean all the kero' out, before refilling with g/box oil, THEN run it for a few minutes. You may have to drain, flush and refill a couple of times, to get all the milky oil out.

Already "flushed" twice now and still tons of "milky" I suspect that the stuff is "hiding" in a the "nooks and crannys of the tranny." I'll try the fill-slosh-and drain method again without actually running it. I'll stop by "Crappy Tire" (if you're not Canadian...never mind) and pick up some cheapo oil to fill/drain/flush with.

Where in Ontario are you. I live there also. :cry:

Just outside of Cambridge, and you? Do you do any racing? All the CMA stuff is done for the year (bummer) so I've been heading down to the 'States'. Headed to the GNCC in Ohio this weekend.

I live in Port Elgin. No I dont race but I do ride on some local track's and we have lot's of trail's around here. Have you ever been to the Paisley Rat Track or Moto Park.

I've been to MOto Park several times for Hare Scrambles, but I think they had (another) 'fall out" with the CMA...so no H-S there. I'm too old and fat for MX, besides, it's boring :cry: