Sign in to follow this  

Gas Tank - Paint?

Ok here is the question. I am turning my 2002 XR 400 all black. So far Krylon black satin paint for plastics and so far all great fenders sides etc. I want to know what you guys thing of painting the gas tank - any special recomendations. i know i will try it but would like some input if possible. I figure black plastics and silver frame and such = Okland Raiders bike! LOL!

Greg

Sorry but you have screwed up your bike and ruined the resale value greatly. You can't paint polyurthane plastic. It won't stick. It will blow off on first wash job and start flaking when the plastic is flexed. You also can't paint a plastic gastank due to gas fumes leaching through the plastic. It will bubble up due to the fumes and peel. Your best bet was to buy different colored plastic parts. I would take some laquer thinner and clean off the paint ASAP.

IMHO,

Dwight :cry:

Every painted bike I've seen looks pretty sorry after the first few rides. I did meet a guy that had used heavy camo cloth applied with spray adhesive then "doped" the cloth using the same adhesive. It looked pretty good and resisted scratches. It did look like a lot of work. Ultimately I agree that if you want to change the color of your bike, the best way is to buy the plastics. Let us know how yours holds up. Maybe you'll be the exception.

well, contrary to popular belive, you can paint plastic. plastikote, makes a primer that has to be used first to keep the fumes from coming through and ruining your new paint job. however, the paint you put on your fenders is prolly going to crack and peel when they flex. you might get away with it on the tank for awhile but it will need to be redone at some point in time. i don't have the web address for plasti-kote but if you do a google search you should be able to find it. good luck. oh yeah, i have painted lots of plastic, it works and it looks good but in a motorcycle application i don't think it will last to long.

Kaos :cry:

I don't know about the gas tank but I just painted some of my plastics black with Krylon. So far I have riden in the rain and dust and it hasn't chipped or flaked. I have ran in to manzanita and it is still good. So I would say that a three dollar can of paint is better than a $40 fender anyday.

Yep just to ad my 5 cents worth, I also agree that is a bad idea to paint it. It will look good for the first day you paint it but after that it will crack and peel of and look generaly [@#$%&*!] house.

Buy black plastics

What resale value? All i would have to do is buy some replacement plastic parts and it would be as good as new in that department. Who cares about resale i am planning on running it till it drops anyway! I buy stuff to use not for its resale value if i did that i would not ride it at all. Jeesh it is just some plastic parts on a motorcycle not a work of art. If it ends up looking like crap then you guys have leaned something from my test. I think the plastic is polyproplene not polyurethane - I am a polymer chemist and run a big analytical lab and will check that out and let you know.

Polyurathane, polyproplene, it really doesn't matter between the two, you can't make paint stick to it successfully. If you didnt' want an answer , why did you ask for a opinion? Just finish painting your bike and let us know how long it takes for the paint to crack , bubble and peel. OR not. HEY, You may discover something the rest of us don't know.

Go for it.

Dwight

PS: to replace all the plastic on the bike would be quite expensive. But you're rich.

hey did not mean to rankle any feathers. I was just seeing if anyone else had thoughts. I got what i was asking thanks - and i responded with my point of view to some ancillary comments. According to the catalogs the replacement parts are around $100 for front fender, rear fender and side panels. Not cheap but not expensive either.