Sign in to follow this  

fork oil volume

just put in my first moto on rebuilt forks and they are pretty harsh.I'm almost positive its the fork oil height as i went back with the max(425).what is the general opinion around here on oil volume with stock springs and honda 5wt oil inner and outer :cry:.My weight is 185 and I ride mostly tracks.I liked the way the forks felt new,but i don't know how much oil was in there then. :cry:

I weigh 180 w/ gear and RG3 set my forks up using 405 oil height. Although they replaced the springs with stiffer mains springs (.49) and softer pressure springs (1.6).

I just went through the same thing and the opinion was to lower it. Was at 425 went to 440 (wrong way) and now am going back down to 410. It is WAY to harsh for me too.

I won't go over 410cc, too harsh on hack. I run 400cc now but my forks have been revalved for much firmer low speed damping and a changed midvalve stack as well. I run a custom spring setup of a .50 in one side, a .47 in the other, and 1.6 ICS springs. Very nice. I might add the bottoming collars once I get back to speed, at the next fork service.

I have an 02 and weigh 170. I just replaced the fork seals for the first time. I set the oil at max 449cc and 5 weight oil. Will this be too harsh? Can I adjust the clickers to cure some of the harshness? Bite the bullet and redo the oil?

thanks for the posts-i'm gonna drop down to 400 and if it needs more it will be easier to add than subtract.do't know why i didnt do this in the first place :cry:

I chased that plush but with bottoming resistance mecca for a long time. I found it!

Im 195 (+/- 6-8) and ended up with .49' springs, the oil level at 400 and the stock IC's with my subtank setup.

Ive tried 1.6 IC's, every imaginable combination of oil hieghts between 350cc's to 425cc's. And could never really get the bottoming resistance with the lighter IC's and keep any decent small bump absorbtion.

When I went back to the stock IC springs, I was able to back the clickers out to 8-9 from 5 and still have decent bottoming resistance with nice small bump absorbtion using the tank setup.

Without the tank setup 400cc's and the stock IC's with .49 springs was nasty harsh over little stuff. But you could come up short on the Grand Canyon and it would be nice and soft!

for the cost and effort, a tank setup is the way to go! And youre luck...I just happen to be able to sell a set up to anyone that wants one! :cry: :cry:

Sell one??? What is it and how much??? Pics???

I'll take some new pics and post them. I'll sell the setup for $150 plus shipping. And if you want to send me your fork caps to drill and tap, I'll do that for ya for 10 each. PM me if you'd like.

excuse my ignorance but where is the 1.6 ICS springs located I do my forks all the time and never ran across this :cry: