Sign in to follow this  

triple clamp position?

I just saw a statement regarding the positioning of the top triple clamp on the forks. It said that the forks should extend a little bit above the triple clamp. Mine don't extend all the way through and are slightly below the triple clamp? I tried to loosen the top TC and push it down farther but the forks didn't budge any higher. What am I doing wrong? :cry:

Also, is this dangerous for me to be riding like this? They are about 1/8" shy of level with the clamps.

TIA,

Paul

The fork as stock should have been about 3mm above the T clamp.. Not below :cry:

Loosen all four fasteners, and rotate the fork leg a little, it will move. Make sure you set them both the same height above the T clamp.

EDIT: The manual states to align the grove at the fork cap with the upper surface of the top T clamp... So my 3mm spec is not correct... it is about 3mm, if you include the cap,, but it is 0 mm if your measuring from the leg itself.

Do I need to put the bike on a lift first or can it be done with the front wheel on the ground? Should I take the front tire off? Also, do I need to loosen the lower clamps too?

Thanks Erik,

Paul

If you have loosened all the pinch bolts on both clamps, it should move. Double check that ALL of the pinching surfaces are released, and then move the forks. I think that there might be a little resistance due to the angle of the fork in the clamp, but you should not need to force it. With the wheel on you will need to lower both at once, if you take the wheel off, you could do one at a time, probably the way I would do it. :cry:

Good point,,,, I did say there is no need. to remove the wheel,, but at the same time,, that is the way i would do it :cry:..

Sooooooo, hey,, why dont ya put it on a stand , remove the wheel, loosen all the pinch bolts, grap the fork tube through the boot, and twist.. It should rotate in the calmp

Did yo try to stick a large screwdriver in the clamp gaps to gently pry them apart a bit? They should almost drop down then.

Thanks guys for your advice and help. :cry: I ended up lifting it up on my hydraulic bike stand, and then lower the bike quickly. This seemed to "break" the seal. For some reason I couldn't pull, hammer or push the bloody forks through the clamps lower or higher. I used the weight of the bike to compress the forks when lowering it from my hydraulic stand. Worked immediately.

Thanks again! :cry: