Sign in to follow this  

Cooked legs & exhaust tape

Wrapping the pipe with exhaust tape will keep the heat in the pipe but it's still going to be hot. Just not as hot as a bare pipe.

Wayyyyy cooler! And the motor will run cooler too. I use it on my XR400, XR100, and TRX250.

Try www.designengineering.com, I suggest 1 in width, better for bike pipes diameter and curves. 50ft should do 2 bikes.

Robert :cry:

Wrap it 50/50, like the old 10 speed bike handlebars. Remove the pipe, its easier. I use SS hoseclamps to tie the ends. Wrap from muffler to motor. There is an oil used in manufacturing, it will burn off the first time you run it.

Whenever you was the bike, start it afterwards, and dry the wrap. Some folks say not to use it on titanium headers, others say its ok.

The proof of how much cooler the motor will run is stopping after a hard ride, and touching the pipe. Dont try it with unwrapped headers! All that extra heat is going out the exhaust, not radiating back into the motor!

Robert :cry:

The downside to header wrap is moisture retention. it traps moisture from washing and riding and eventually rusts the header pipe thru. This is of no concern on stainless but other metals that are suceptable to rust, you might wanna steer clear. That or dry the header wrap really good before you put it away. :cry:

i wrapped my exhaust with black thermo-tec exhaust wrap. i used the 2"x50' roll. it werked great. i wrapped from the silencer forward to where the connection is. then i wrapped the header twice. i did it once first then it got a lil ripped from a friends peg so i wrapped it again. since i wrapped it it made a nice difference in how hot the bike got. it's worth it plus it will help keep from burning a hole in freestyle pants, if you ever wear them that is.

I would think that if you run the bike for 5 minutes after washing, it should dry out the wrap and significantly reduce the amount of rust you end up with. They all rust, but surface rust is almost a rust barrier vs. deep cancerous rust, which is caused by long lasting moisture, would eat that sucker right up...

I always run the bike for a while after washing...just to dry those areas that i cant reach with a towel or air hose...

I've used Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap with automotive turbo applications with great results. I've had a glowing red turbo and was able to breifly put my hand on the wrapped exhaust inches downstream from the turbo.

You'll want to remove whatever you're wrapping to do it correctly and cleanly. If you're using the exhaust wrap you really need to use a sealant spray. If whatever you are wrapping isn't stainless you might also consider using the sealant to coat whatever you're wrapping.

tt_12001.jpg

To finish off a clean and well-protected Exhaust Insulating Wrap application it is recommended to use the Hi-Heat Coating. The coating will protect the wrap from abrasion and harmful liquid spills. Extra resins and binders toughen the surface, extend the life of wrap by protecting it from friction, and seal the pores to minimize the penetration of harmful liquids.

Here are some pictures of my use of these products in automotive applications:

DCP02716.sized.jpg

DCP02715.sized.jpg

Here you see the wrap is treated with the sealant:

DCP02795.sized.jpg