Sign in to follow this  

October's Georgetown Volunteer Trail Work Day (It's been rescheduled)

I received this email about another volunteer trail work day at Georgetown. Unfortunately it's on the weekend of the Jackhammer, so a few of us will be unable to attend. But, if you're available it's a good opportunity to put something back into the OHV system.

Trail users:

The Georgetown Ranger District plans to have a volunteer trail workday on October 16, 2004. We plan to work on trail maintenance for the Otter Creek Trail and the One Eye Creek Trail and some trail construction work on other trails if there are enough volunteers.

For the trail volunteer work, please bring boots with good traction and ankle support, a lunch, canteen and work gloves. If you have your own hardhat and eye protection, please bring. If you do not have the hardhat and eye protection, we do have loaners. We have a limited number of tools for the volunteers to borrow, but if you have your favorite handsaw, loppers or clippers, etc. you can bring your own tools.

We will be meeting near the Mace Mill Staging Area information at 8:30 AM on October 16 before we head to the work projects. We will have a safety briefing and make project assignments before heading to work site(s). If it is raining on October 16, we will postpone our workday until October 30, 2004. We plan to work until about 3:00 PM, but if people need to leave earlier they certainly can.

We would appreciate a RSVP if you plan to work with us by October 14. You can send us an email at jjue@fs.fed.us or you can give me a call at (530) 333-5550. Please share this opportunity with your friends. We greatly appreciate all of the volunteer's efforts in keeping our trails in good shape and for helping us to provide trail recreation opportunities.

If you are not signed up as a volunteer with the Georgetown Ranger District, we will need you to fill out the appropriate volunteer agreement form. To save time, if you could fill out the attached form and send it back to our office at:

Georgetown Ranger District

Attn: Jon Jue

7600 Wentworth Springs Road

Georgetown, CA 95634

Thanks,

Jon Jue

District Resource Officer

We were going to ride there that weekend. Are the trails they are working on going to be shut down. I want to make sure we avoid the work crew, wouldn't want to disturb them. As they clear the trails.

don't worry about it, the work crews are usally small in number and working on new or off the way trails.... No trails will be shut down that i have experinced yet on volunteer days........they will have someone watching so you don't run us over. I have volunteered before to work the morning till noon before and then rode the trails in the afternoon.

I'll be up to doing the same if you come down. John Jue the guy at GT who runs the volunteer days is a real low key cool ranger...follows the rules but treats us riders as friends of his forest if we treat him that way too. they really appreciate volunteers. its a great program.

We WILL be there. Swing by for a soda. (Wink wink)

I am in a 18 foot wilderness Travel trailer with a 99 Red GMC Sierra Z71. There will be at least another Toy hauler 24 foot weekend warrior with a white ford expedition. Also, there will be a green suburban. We will more than likely be at mace mill by some kiddie track or fenced off area. I don't know since I haven't been there yet.

there really is no kiddie trail there, but towards the end of the mace mills area, (its a small staging area), you'll will find little trails running around through the trees and the kids can ride there. Hopefully it will rain before then as any riding around in the staging area will stir up way too much DUST right now.

If I come, which I expect I will, I will be there about 730-8am am that work day and look for you. GT is a great ride area. :cry:

there really is only one loop around mace mills and that is trail 3, great loop, but there are connecting trails over to the other two main GT staging areas Bald mountain ( lots and lots of trails there see the map) and darling ridge( 1 sweet loop 2) from mace mills. stop at the ranger's station just before ya get there, and pick up the GT trail map

don't worry about it, the work crews are usally small in number and working on new or off the way trails.... No trails will be shut down that i have experinced yet on volunteer days........they will have someone watching so you don't run us over. I have volunteered before to work the morning till noon before and then rode the trails in the afternoon.

I'll be up to doing the same if you come down. John Jue the guy at GT who runs the volunteer days is a real low key cool ranger...follows the rules but treats us riders as friends of his forest if we treat him that way too. they really appreciate volunteers. its a great program.

They should ban dirt bikes from using the trail system. :cry:

I'll be signing up for a morning half day of trail work, then maybe ride in the afternoon if anyone wants to.

it's this THIS SATURDAY, 10/16, not sunday like i thought

We WILL be there. Swing by for a soda. (Wink wink)

I am in a 18 foot wilderness Travel trailer with a 99 Red GMC Sierra Z71. There will be at least another Toy hauler 24 foot weekend warrior with a white ford expedition. Also, there will be a green suburban. We will more than likely be at mace mill by some kiddie track or fenced off area. I don't know since I haven't been there yet.

Bob we may stage up at balderston rd(?) other wise we should be at mace mill friday afternoon. I will look for you on sat, some on by.

Balderston rd, the second time you see it, is the access road that gets you to Mace mills.

when you get to the town of Georgetown, to get to the ride area, you will head up Wentworth springs road. About 3 miles outside of town you will see the USFS Rangers Station on the right. Just a little ways past the ranger's station, you will see Balderston rd on the right for the first time - Don't turn there. Wait till ya see Balderston rd the second time along with a sign that says Mace Mills staging area, then turn right on Balderston rd and follow it out to Mace Mills. Watch the signs there will be a fork and you will hang left. You'll know when you're at Mace Mills as there will be a porto john on the right and a big sign on the left. Recommend you stage just up a bit from that sign , but on the right in the trees, still walking distance back to the toilet.

See ya saturday morning, the volunteer work crew meets at that staging area bulletin board sign at 8:30 am. we can hook up at noon for a ride. Go ahaed and ride all of loop 3 which circles around the mace mills area......then check the map for the link trail 3-1 up to the bald mountain area, or find the double wide trail link to darling ridge... I'll be up there by 730 -8 am...I'll look for you..I can show you the link trails to all the other trails areas....you need to know those links r else all you have at Mace mills is loop 3. which allualy is a fun loop with some tougher rocky sections....if ya need some easy stuff then ya need to find youre way over to darling ridge...Stop at the Rangers station and get a trail map.... they keep them out on a table at the front door as well as at the staging area sign post

BRING BUG SPRAY>>>>>>>> there are still mosquitoes up there this time of year........ they can be a pest around the staging area.

oh and allways watch out for head ons. trails are two way. that weekend will be red sticker opening weekend. in the tight trails you're ok but in the wide easy trails that lots of manzanita and wide sweeping tursn - GO slow use caustion cause the other guy is around that sweeping turn and he is haulling ass towrad you. wait till you can see straight for long distances before going WFO.

you'll see what I mean, the wide sweeping manzanita trail and other trails sections at Georegtown are spooky for head ons.

Bob, I am following some other guys who have been there before so wherever they go I will go. THanks for the heads up on the bugs. Always got the bug spray in the trailer.

Being a stonyford veteran I am well aware of the dangers of two way trails, I have seen a couple bad accidents. First guy always has to be cautious. We will see you there.

For those of you that can make it up there on Friday, Tim Dabny, the head ranger for the area, is having a meeting at the forestry station, concerning the winter deer area closure. He will be making a decision soon as to if and when parts of Rock Creek OHV area will be closed for the "protection" of the deer.

He will present the information he has that pertains to the deer herd and welcomes any additional input. Tim is a fair person and was VERY instumental in getting the Little Silver bridge completed.

The meeting is scheduled from 1:00 to 3:00 pm at the USFS ranger station.

Hope that some of you can make it to the meeting.

Ride on

Brewster

if ya need some easy stuff then ya need to find youre way over to darling ridge...Stop at the Rangers station and get a trail map.... they keep them out on a table at the front door as well as at the staging area sign post

hey Bob,

Can you give me an idea how much 'easy' stuff is available in the Darling Ridge area? I'm wondering if it's worth taking my son there. He rides 1,3,4, and 7 at Foresthill, and if conditions are good he handles 2 pretty well also.

We tried GT once (from Mace Mill staging) and had a pretty good time on trail 3, but when we went looking for other trails he could handle we didn't have much luck, the only thing we could find was (I think) Trail 1, and when we got to the uphill switchbacks part it was a bit much for him so we had to turn back.

tobad you went up those switchbacks on trail 1..that is basically about the hardest part of GT. If your son did ok on loop 3 at GT and he rides FH, then he will be fine on 80% of the GT's bald mauntain trails..... which are east of Mace mills. Darling ridge is more west of Mace mills and is an important area to ride and know about because it is west of mace mills and stays open in the winter.

When the winter snows come and they close bald mountain ... all you have left is Mace mills loop 3 and the loop 2 trail which circles Darling ridge......... loop 2 is easy green trail......real mellow and also a beautiful scenic loop... I love that loop for my morning warm up or better for the last ride of the day when you just want to cruise and enjoy the woods.

to get to Darling ridge you turn at the first interection of balderston road with wentworth springs road...follow balderston till ya come to a sharp fork and peel off to the right there on the fork turn..head straight out till ya see some gravel parking on the left.

there is a link trail from mace mills over to loop 2..this winter I'll be doing trails 2 and 3 lots....... :cry: :cry:

until we get rain, expect dust. spread out the riders is the only way to live with it.

The areas scheduled to be worked on are Otter Creek and One Eye Creek. I couldn't find Otter Creek on any of the maps, but One Eye Creek is in the southern section of Rock Creek OHV area. It would be a much shorter drive for those of you that are heading up that way Sat. morning, if you came in from Placerville on Mosquito road. Contact Jon Jue and see if there is somewhere you could meet up with the rest of the group. jjue@fs.fed.us (530) 333-5550

See ya there

Brewster

ok, but I assume we are still meeting at Mace Mills at 8:30 am Saturday for the usual speach about safety and volunteer form signing, then we car pool and follow Jon over to the work sites.