Sign in to follow this  

Need Opinions: 2003 KLX400 (new)

I posted this on the Kawasaki side then read a post saying most discussions on this bike and the Suzuki version are over here... :cry:

I was looking to buy a Honda CRF230 or CRF250, but today at my local shop they said they had a brand new 2003 KLX400 they received from the manufacturer (along with some 2003 Honda XR's)

They will sell the bike for $4,791 (instead of the MSRP $5,499) Bike is brand new, just out of the box. Comes with warranty etc.

Question is, I had not researched Kawasaki's before so I am not familiar with the bike. I heard it is the same as a Suzuki DRZ-400, but I know nothign about that one either, lol.

So honest opinions:

- Is the bike for that price a good deal?

- Is it dependable?

- Any performance/maintenance issues?

- Sales guy described it as a sheep in wolf's clothing, basically saying it has great performance but isn't a full on racer. I'm not looking to race, so it sounds good... but is that an accurate description?

- Compared to a 2004/2005 Honda CRF-250, which would you buy?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

Buy it you'll love it. It a very dependable bike, needs some extra armour, but most bikes do. Do some searching on this forum for any concerns you might have. I ride mine thru some tight woods here in Texas and each year I go riding in Colorado with some friends and it hasn't let me down yet. It's the best trail bike on the market right now. :cry: :cry:

Love mine...the most fun I've had on a bike. I will borrow a line from another tt-er, I can't recall who, but it was dead on...The klx 400/Drz 400 is a..."Swiss Army Bike".

Get one....you'll love it. :cry:

Beats the price I paid for mine in January 03. If you are comfortable with the price go for it.

The bike is awesome and has a large following of support. It is not the hottest bike available off the show room floor...but the possibilites are endless...the upgrades are plentiful in availability. You can do almost anything you want to with that bike.

You won't regret it! :cry:

DBUNYE, one question: Is it dual purpose (S) or the off road only (E) model? I just bought a brand new S model one month ago and paid $4300. They WERE asking $4900. Make an offer. It can't hurt. BTW, I love my bike! You won't be dissappointed!

It's the off road only one.

I am really torn, it seems like a great deal, but it is still two years old. Know what I mean... ARRGGGHHH!!!!!

Yes its a god deal and a good bike.

But you should consider the type of riding you are doing or going to do and base your purchase on that.

It may be two years old, but they still haven't upgraded them any.

I have the dual sport and only ride it off road. I need a tag to ride my favorite spot here in NJ. The bike is great for trail riding. :cry: :cry:

Buy it !I paid $5000 for a 2002 supermoto ama drz440e.It had been qualified for 1-supermoto race,then sold.They show

ed me where they stuck another $3400 retail into the bike,not their cost of course,but I purchased new jan 2004,

even got a six month warranty!!I own 2 now & keep making changes to both bikes.My 2001 S has 16k miles on and still going strong!!!Supermoto is now street legal & has 1k on it.

You'love your new kawasuki!!! :cry:

69t/a

You will love it but that price is too high for an 03.

To give you an idea...

Roseville Cycle up here in Norcal has a 2003 KLX400R holdover with a pricetag of $4299 I think. (Before tax + fees). But they had this huge sale one day and it was marked down $3999. Guess no one bought it cause its still on the showroom floor. Killer deal though.

Someone should go talk um down to $3999 before tax etc. and pick up a great buy. :cry:

that is too much money for an 03, they are setting you up for a rip off. I got my 03 last year for 4600 plus...at year end close out. i would not pay more then 4200 plus for that bike. ...you know when they say "OH" we can beat the MSRP that they are setting you up. 4700 plus for a bike that is 2 years old is ridiculous

I was looking to buy a Honda CRF230 or CRF250, but today at my local shop they said they had a brand new 2003 KLX400 they received from the manufacturer (along with some 2003 Honda XR's)

They will sell the bike for $4,791 (instead of the MSRP $5,499) Bike is brand new, just out of the box. Comes with warranty etc.

Thanks for any and all opinions!

I would definately buy it over the CRF230 or any XR. Much more bike for the money. The CRF 250X looks really nice. Hear a lot about valve issues on that one though. DRZ (or KLX) is nice and reliable, plenty of power for the average rider, a little heavy, but I haven't found that to be a big issue.

It being 2003 is not big deal at all, unless you are worried about resale value in the next couple of years. I would low-ball the dealer though, and see what you can get it for. I got mine for $5000:canada: which was $2400:canada: off the MRSP price. That is definately a lot cheaper than what he offered you if you convert the currency. I haven't seen anyone on here get that kind of price though. I bought my 2003 E in Feb 04.

Good luck :cry:

Wow, thanks for all of the opinions! Sounds like everyone feels it is a great bike. Perhaps I can talk them down a bit on the price. :cry:

Another questions as noted by a post above. I am in Florida, so the local areas will be mostly sand or soft dirt. I can see having the extra power being a plus, but will the 270lbs of bike be heavy for my local areas? I will also be totting this bike north to West Virginia trails and such.

Keep the opinions coming guys, it is helping a lot! Thanks again.