Sign in to follow this  

New 2004 CRF205X Impressions After Break-in

I finally got a good hard break-in done on my ’04 CRF250X last weekend. I thought I’d leave my impressions of the bike after about 35-40 miles on it. I also put on some aftermarket parts and I’ll talk about them also.

First off I didn’t like the stock suspension/tire combo the first short ride I did but knew it would be different after some riding. I have to say I like the stock suspension now. It is stiffer than my aftermarket suspension on the WR250 I have but it handles well. I had to turn the fork rebound 3 clicks harder and softened the compression front and rear about 3 clicks.

The bike handled better in the front after dropping air pressure to 12 psi. The front tire was pretty hard to handle on rocks/roots at a higher pressure. At 12 psi the stock Dunlop handled pretty well. I never washed out and did dry and muddy areas with no trouble.

The bike handled well and I had more confidence that it would go where I wanted it to. I switched back to my WR250 for a while and it felt too soft in the front. I had already gotten used to the X handling.

The E-start came in very handy as my WR250 broke a kick lever at the start. I swapped the X one over and just used the electric start all day. Never had trouble starting.

I put in the JD jet kit and it helped a lot on power and the stock lean condition. I put in a 42 pilot/slow jet and put in a T handle fuel mixture screw to easily adjust idle on the trail. That came in handy and once I had it adjusted it started right up.

I cut the air box but only on the inside area to leave the sides on for the rubber cover that comes off the top of the box (so I can put it back on if needed). I did a bunch of creek crossings with no problem but none were deep enough to get up to the seat.

I haven’t done the pink wire mode or pulled the exhaust baffle yet. It still seems to have plenty of power. Compared to my WR250 with full mods (FMF Q, air box, 262 Wiseco, etc) the X as it is now seems to accelerate about the same or a bit faster. The WR250 will put easier wheelies (as judged by my buddy who likes to punch the throttle and do 3rd or 4th gear wheelies).

I put Cycra Pro Bend handlebar mount guards on and I’d highly recommend them. I hit a couple of large tree branches and they deflected without hitting my hands or lower arms. They look good and seem very strong. The plastic spoilers seem large enough to block a lot of wind if you ride in cold and rain. I had plenty of room on the stock Renthal bars to also mount my GPS and my Trailtech computer.

Trailtech computer is nice (I’ve had 3 of them). It’s gotten easier to install also with the inclusion of a handlebar mount and a magnetic bolt that replaces a front rotor bolt. Just have to drill the rotor to place the sensor.

Flatland Racing skid plate and radiator guards were both easy to install and worked without me paying attention to them. I like the holes in the plate for oil changes but it would be pretty easy to remove. The radiator guards only problem was you have to cut the plastic on the inside of the shrouds to install them. It’s a bit of a pain but I used tin snips so it didn’t take too long.

I’m 6’ and standing up with the stock bars gets kind of tiring due to having to lean over. I’m going to look for taller bar mounts or something to raise them up a bit. Standing up on the bike makes it handle real well. When I first rode it, I thought it was pretty squirrelly but although the front did bounce around it never threw me off the trail.

I hate taking out the carb on this bike due to the frame covering the carb. You have to pull the muffler and swing the subframe up out of the way (like you do to adjust the sag on the shock). It was a pain getting it back in and reconnecting the hot start and throttle cables. Once it’s out, it’s easy to work on just like the WR carb. The slow circuit fuel adjust screw even with my aftermarket T handle screw is a bit hard to get at since there isn’t much room under the carb but you can do it on the trail without tools at least.

Overall, this is one of my favorites bikes to ride I’ve owned. It’s not as powerful as my WR426 I had but it handles well in woods and has good power when you hit it. It feels a bit like my ’01 CR250 did except tamer. The CR was a heck of a lot lighter but the X doesn’t actually feel heavy when I was riding it.

MorrisWR, It was nice to read your thoughts on the 250X.

I've got about 600 miles on my X and love it. It's a trail bike and that's where I ride it. I haven't modified it much as it runs/handles great right out of the box. Love it for tight technical single track because it feels so light and maneuverable. I just threw on a 13 tooth front sprocket for $7 and it helped the low end really well. Got 1.5" bar risers on order. I started on a XR400 (a good bike), but I really feel the 250X has made me a better rider. 😢

Love mine also best bike I have owned for the trails, I have about 700 miles and no mods. change oil after every two rides or so 20-50 belray. Installed trail tech computer waiting for friday so I can go try it out, should be fun. Enjoy the bike its a good one! 😢

I've got about 600 miles on my X and love it. It's a trail bike and that's where I ride it. I haven't modified it much as it runs/handles great right out of the box. Love it for tight technical single track because it feels so light and maneuverable. I just threw on a 13 tooth front sprocket for $7 and it helped the low end really well. Got 1.5" bar risers on order. I started on a XR400 (a good bike), but I really feel the 250X has made me a better rider. 😢

Kind of like where I came from. I had ridden a WR426 and an XR400 until I traded them in on my truck. Went down to a 250 (used WR) to see if I'd like riding a 250 then got the X after I realized I could have fun on a 250.

What type of risers did you get?

I agree the bike has pretty good power stock. Not as much modifying as I have done on my WR's (although most is free). It just seems you always try to get more out of them.