Sign in to follow this  

Big bore kit or pipe?

Fella's,

I currently run a pretty stock bike but the wife says we currently only have limited funds for my "toy". It's a 2002 YZ250F. Motocross is my thing and we could all use a few extra ponies at the track. What would you choose if given only one purchase, the 262 big bore or a new pipe? [@#$%&*!], I need to get a third job.... :cry:

Flip a coin. Probably about the same. If buy a real nice pipe like a Yosh or FMF the big bore would be cheaper.

Head work my man, you can get your head flowed for between

$350 and $500 and it makes a huge diffrence even with a stock pipe. :cry:

I own two 03 YZ250Fs. One has a stock bore w/ the Wiseco piston and the other recently has been made into a 262. The two engines are quite a bit different. The 262 is MUCH stronger in the low and mid range department with a WIDE powerband, while the the stocker seems to run happier at upper revs.

Now keep in mind, the stock bore with a Wiseco piston's +.75 Comp Ratio is a power boost in itself, so both of these bikes have better than a stock bike's power.

The other night, I rode the 262 back to back against a stock 04 w/ a full Yoshi system. I do not know if that bike has personal issues, but my 262 with its Q4 absolutely shredded the Yoshi bike anywhere in the powerband.

If I were buying parts, I'd suggest this-

Economy upgrade - Stock Wiseco piston. Approx $135

Next dollar level- If I wanted a substantial low & mid range boost for woods riding, get the 262 kit. Approx $400.

Last, and really last- Pipe. Most of the faster pipes will probably be the LOUD pipes, and the planet already has WAAAY too many loud 4 strks.

Good luck with the decision! :cry:

I agree 100% with BazookaJoe.

1. Wiseco high compression piston

2. Big bore kit. You can get a 262cc piston (+2mm) from Wiseco or a 270cc (+3mm) piston from Thumper Racing. Anyone can punch out and plate your cylinder for you. I don't race competitively in the AMA, so I went with the 270 kit from Thumper Racing to get the max power for the $$$$. It cost me the same as if I would have just gone with a +2mm 262 kit.

3. Pipe - besides, if you add this to your big bore kit next year, your bike will really do a back flip! :cry:

I own two 03 YZ250Fs. One has a stock bore w/ the Wiseco piston and the other recently has been made into a 262. The two engines are quite a bit different. The 262 is MUCH stronger in the low and mid range department with a WIDE powerband, while the the stocker seems to run happier at upper revs.

Now keep in mind, the stock bore with a Wiseco piston's +.75 Comp Ratio is a power boost in itself, so both of these bikes have better than a stock bike's power.

The other night, I rode the 262 back to back against a stock 04 w/ a full Yoshi system. I do not know if that bike has personal issues, but my 262 with its Q4 absolutely shredded the Yoshi bike anywhere in the powerband.

If I were buying parts, I'd suggest this-

Economy upgrade - Stock Wiseco piston. Approx $135

Next dollar level- If I wanted a substantial low & mid range boost for woods riding, get the 262 kit. Approx $400.

Last, and really last- Pipe. Most of the faster pipes will probably be the LOUD pipes, and the planet already has WAAAY too many loud 4 strks.

Good luck with the decision! :cry:

you should see what a set of hotcams does for the 262. :cry:

Bazookajoe

what did the yosh pipe give you in power band wise and witch yosh did you get

also could you tell the diff from stock to yosh.

thanks mike.

Head work my man, you can get your head flowed for between

$350 and $500 and it makes a huge diffrence even with a stock pipe. :cry:

ThumperRacing did my headwork for 275.00. Not a bad option if you are looking for another power booster. :cry: Although Gary told me not even to bother with a high flow head if you are not going to run an aftermarket pipe. So you end up spending 700 +- either way. :cry: I would go with the piston kit. Especially if you need a new piston anytime soon.

I really appreciate the input guy's. From what I'm reading here it seems as if the 262 piston kit is the way I'm leaning. Would love to start getting holeshots and not just pick 'em off as I am doing now. Going up against the 450's is not fun on the starts but after that this bike does extremely well for me. Eric Gorr seems like the place to go for the cylinder work, anybody else out here near Ohio?

Bazookajoe

what did the yosh pipe give you in power band wise and witch yosh did you get

also could you tell the diff from stock to yosh.

thanks mike.

Mike, The bike was not mine, it was some other guy's. I'm not sure which pipe he had, but it was SO stinkin' LOUD that it was just completely obnoxious. Like I stated also, I am not sure if his bike needed a fresh top end or not.

I put a 262 kit from Eric Gorr on an otherwise stock WR250 and was very plesantly surprised by the results. Felt stronger from top to bottm and no noise increase. The kit cost me 365.00 delivered.