Sign in to follow this  

semi street gearing on 250 smoker?

Didn't get much help in the general section, sorry for not being a thumper but I need some help. Bike is a stock YZ250 2001 with 14/50 stock gearing. I can easily take off in second gear without abusing the clutch..I weigh around 160 lbs. How tall can I go ont he gearing and still keep some of the wicked acceleration this thing has..I want some more topend..but I dont want to turn it into a slug accelerating though. I am thinking around 15/45 or maybe even low as 15/42. 15 is the largest I think I can fit with a case saver, and 42 is the smallest I can find for the rear. Assuming 10,000 rpm..this gearing would have me around 90 mph ish, no idea how high this engine can actually be revved. So if anyone has a 250 smoker that they can make reccomendations on..I'd be very grateful..thanks. -Tony

Try and start with the counter shaft sprocket @ 14 and drop the rear 3 so that would be 47 and you will have noticeable more top end and still plenty of grunt I think a 15 tooth ccs would take too much off the bottom. :cry:

Guys..thanks for the advice, I think I will start off with the 15/50 since it is the cheapest to change and likely won't require links removed from the chain, then see how much I lose from there, I think I need to re-evaluate what ia m doing..I shouldnt try and turn this into a top end bike..it's made to boogy down low.