2nd ride with new valves on X and possibly blew the motor

After being down and out for quite some time installing new valves, I went out for my second ride last weekend. My first ride was two weeks ago. The first ride went OK, but after installing the new valves, the bike felt a bit weak. I rejetted and took it out to test it on Saturday. The bike felt abosolutely GREAT. Prior to last week, I was running the JD red needle in the fourth clip, 42 PJ, 160 main.

I removed the JD needle and put the stock needle back in the 4th clip position. I kept the 42 PJ but replaced the 160 Main with a 150 main (the 160 is good for the JD needle, but too rich for the stock needle).

Like I said, these changes made my bike run better than I have ever felt in the past and I was excited to finally be bakc on a great running bike. I rode a tight 28 mile single track trail and came back for lunch. I had picked up a closed course needle because it was recommended by a number of guys. So, I thought I would throw that in (in the 3rd clip position)and take it for a quick ride for comparison. I started it up and it sounded good. I jumped on, twisted the throttle and went about 100 yards when I heard a strange noise in the engine and the bike came to halt. I tried to start it up again and it sounded bad and wouldnt even come close to starting. I tried kicking it over and realized it had zero compression.

I am not a mechanic and have no idea what it could be. Luckily a few of my TT friends have volunteered to help me out.

But between having to replace the valves on a brand new bike with very few rides and now this, I can't even begin to describe how disappointed I am with my entire experience with this bike. When it is running, I love it. Unfortunately I've had more down time with this bike in a very short amount of time than I have on any bike I've ever owned in the past.

If it was more reliable, this would be the best bike for my needs. But now I am at my wits end with this bike and am considering trading it in for an 04' WR250 (after I fix it).

I just thought I would share my experience with you guys ?

Please don't fry me...but it sounds alot like a loose spark plug.

Why fry you? Common sense says start at the cheapest part and work your way up. Check there first then move on to other things.

The bike is an inanimate object, a person rebuilt it. Look to see what came apart first. After doing any serious motor work I retorque and check it all after a couple of miles to be sure.

P.S. Good Luck ?

Please don't fry me...but it sounds alot like a loose spark plug.

Why fry you? Common sense says start at the cheapest part and work your way up. Check there first then move on to other things.

The bike is an inanimate object, a person rebuilt it. Look to see what came apart first. After doing any serious motor work I retorque and check it all after a couple of miles to be sure.

P.S. Good Luck ?

I absolutely agree with Derbo and Teamster!

The wife's previous bike, a stone-reliable BBR-230 absolutley wouldn't start a race once. Would show a brief sign of life then absolutely nothing - not even after a two behind an ATV. Nada, zip, dead-o.

Major bummage.

Which turned into major embarrassment when we found the paper towel that was left behind in the airbox boot and had gotten sucked into the carb. Started immediately and ran just fine after it was removed. ?

Start easy and obvious and work your way up. You'll never know what you'll find. Somewhat like the poor chap who had his engine lock/break up....only to find the knurled locking knob that had fallen off of his feeler guage set when he was checking the valve clearances.

It's like Rosanna-Danna used to say, "....if it's not one thing... it's another....."

Best of luck and do let us know what you find! -- rb

All of us who have crf's and x's are very hesitant to post anything positive about our excellent running bikes because we will get blasted and accused of being in denial if our bikes do not have valve issues, so forgive us if we are a little gun shy. ?

There are alot of people gunning for the bikes and honda, hey thats what happens when you are bike of the year. there are only a handful of legit valve problems out there and they are going to make the most noise because they are pissed. But the rest of us are proving these bikes are excellent bikes and reliable when properly taken care of! My god Yamha is just now coming out with a aluminum frame honda has had one since 97. The 2005 crf 450 Dirt Rider said was even better than last years model. ?

Before you blame the bike, take it apart and see what's wrong

?

And how will knowing what is wrong change anything? That many problems certainly justifies being disappointed and heck yes I'd "blame the bike".

Because it might be something that was put together wrong.

How many X's have you heard this happened to (or R's)?

Especially after it was just apart.

All of us who have crf's and x's are very hesitant to post anything positive about our excellent running bikes because we will get blasted and accused of being in denial if our bikes do not have valve issues, so forgive us if we are a little gun shy. ?

Please do not hesitate. I don't know about anyone else but I certainly won't blast you, I'm just insanely jealous. It's extremely aggravating to have this happen to a brand-new bike and I certainly wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I just wish I had gotten lucky and been among those who haven't had problems.

Seems a lot of NON-CRF250 owners are posting on this section. Anyone know why? ?

i've been following it because i heard such great stuff about the suspension and stuff on the x, and i was starting to think about a 450x at some point in the future, so i'm trying to sort of keep tabs on what issues the new honda thumpers might have.

Hey guys,

Like Wheelsoff said, I dont know why anyone would bash someone for writing good stuff about the X. For many people it has been an excellent bike, no doubt. I too just wish I was among the lucky ones. I do however think that every X owner (regardless of whether they've had valve problems yet, or not) should recognize that HONDA has a very real and serious valve issue with these bikes. The large number of people experiencing valve issues on brand new bikes is so alarming that it is hard to deny. Recognizing this and complaining to HONDA about it will only force them to fix the issue on future bikes. Even if I was one ofthe lucky ones, I would certainly voice my concern over what so many others are experiencing to HONDA. There is power in numbers.

But those of you who feel like you get blasted for posting good stuff about the X.... forget about it. Post away. I personaly am releived to hear that others arent having any problems. Just remember not to blast those of us who are having problems. I've had that happen too.

As for my latest mystery problem; I'm in no way trying to say that it is a manufacturing defect. I wont know what caused this until we get to tear into it this weekend. But from the mechanics I've talked to about it, they are guessing that I ceased the piston. And no matter what the cause, I still have a very bad taste in my mouth over all of the grief this brand new bike has caused me in a very short amount of time. I could have bought any handful of extremely used bikes and had less problems than this.

I'll definately let you all know what we find out.

Seems a lot of NON-CRF250 owners are posting on this section. Anyone know why?

I'm curious because the crf250x was going to be my next bike and I'm also interested in the 450x. Thanks to XRs, I'll always be a loyal Honda fan and I am hoping for a credible and lasting fix on these valve issues. Ideally, that fix should come directly from Honda.

motoman I too live here in santa rosa and have the 250X..I have raced all 4 enduros of the first half of season and rode the hell in the west 6 hour marathon in nevada and until this last race I had no problems with valves and all was well....now after the desert the bike died and would not restart...I worked thru all possibilities and then now to the shop Cycle Pro where they found the intake valves in bad shape and exhaust side geting close also?? now time for new valves ??? have 100+ hours on bike and have had no problems and checked valves twice and oil changed 4 times...is this good or bad?? this bike has been a great bike to me.... ?