Sign in to follow this  

Fuel octane

The highest octane pump gas available around here is 91. If I mix pump gas and race gas do I wind up with an octane that's the average of the two?

go to www.klotzlube.com they have good tech info you can read on mixing race gas and their oil is :cry:

Thanks :cry: I've used their race gas before, prefer Maxima oil for the two stroke :cry: But I was more interested in info on mixing pump gas and race gas to raise the octane level of the gas for my DRZ. Further illumination desired please :cry:

No, they don't mix equally to make it that easy to figure octane. Why do need higher than 91 anyway? Is your DRZ running a high compression piston?

I don't have a high compression piston but I do have the E base gasket in my S, which raises the compression some. :cry: I just like the way it runs better with higher octane fuel. It's a bit more crisp and runs smoother. I've been running 93, 94 octane but since moving to Missouri all I can find is 91 and I notice the difference. :cry:

91 :cry: Jeez over in the UK the lowest we can get is 95 and our super unleaded is 98.....how do your engines cope with feul with such a low octane rating?? :cry:

Not very well :cry: that's why I'm looking to increase it a bit

This may sound weird but higher octane rating fuel is more lathargic. More like Diesel or kerosene (actually diesel is a type of kerosene). In other words regular gas is more likely to combust that high test. Depending what type of racing fuel you use, you can mix. Also, you can mix diesel from the pump to raise the octane rating, like 50:1.

octane helps the fuel burn quicker and with more force. Here in the US we have chevy suburbans that get about 13 miles to the gallon (if ur lucky) so not many people want to put high octane gas in there. Heck, i see people with porsches and bmws filling up with regular. I always ask why are they doing that to their car; usually the answer is they only lease so they don't care. Have you asked gas stations if there is higher octane fuel available anywhere in the area? I would search in the yellow pages to see if any companies can deliver fuel to your house (they should sell 93 octane by the barrel, if you don't use it you can always put it in the car.

octane helps the fuel burn quicker and with more force.

bzzzt, try again. all other things being equal, higher octane gas burns slower and with less total energy. the reason for higher octane is to reduce detonation.

good call, most people think you are crazy when you tell them that the fuel you pay more for burns slower.

Yes the eariler post is true. The higher the octane the higher the flash point. Meaning it requires a higher temp to ignite. That is why you run a higher octane in higher compression engines. If you put low octane in a high compression engine it will ignite before TDC causing a "knock" or "pinging" sound. Also carbon build up on the top of the piston and cylinder head will cause the need for higher octane fuel. If you need to raise the octane of your fuel you may want to consider an off the shelf octane additive like 104+ or Outlaw. They claim to raise you octane several points. Just make sure you mix it properly since you are only using a few gallons at a time.

Ray