Sign in to follow this  

Question: How do you set front fork sag or adjust preload?

How are you guys adjusting or setting the front fork sag on the WR. I know the rear is most important but the front still matters right? Without front preload adjusters on the fork what are you working with? Just the spring, shims or fork oil?

I'm at about 50mm race or rider on bike sag. What numbers are you guys running because according to an article written recently in DIRTBIKE magazine RACE TECH is suggesting 65-70mm of race sag. Does this sound correct or is it excessive? :cry: I'm about 160lbs.

I never adjust the front preload because I think I'm a bit light for the springs at 160lbs. I certainly don't want to make the bike any higher with preload adjustments since I also have short legs. Just my thoughts. :cry:

stick this post in the suspension forum and you will get way better response. Theories differ but my understanding is you use the springs and or spacers to set preload, not sag. Then use your oil weights and hieghts to adjust resistance to bottoming and damping. Be warned too much preload up front is not usually a good thing as it takes way more energy to get a fork moving than it does to move it once its begun to travel. Too much preload inhibits the ability to soak up smaller bumps. Generally a spring change is advisable rather than messing with the spring preload.

Again put it in the suspension forum and ask the doctor.

stick this post in the suspension forum and you will get way better response. Theories differ but my understanding is you use the springs and or spacers to set preload, not sag. Then use your oil weights and hieghts to adjust resistance to bottoming and damping. Be warned too much preload up front is not usually a good thing as it takes way more energy to get a fork moving than it does to move it once its begun to travel. Too much preload inhibits the ability to soak up smaller bumps. Generally a spring change is advisable rather than messing with the spring preload.

Again put it in the suspension forum and ask the doctor.

So what do you say to race tech including 4 shims and suggesting they be used? The springs were for 185 pounds.