Sign in to follow this  

BBR Springs in TTR 125L

This last week, we installed BBR springs front and rear in my wife's TTR125L.

The install was very easy and straight forward. For the rear, take out two bolts, and the shock slides right out, didn't even have to drop the rear wheel. Knock the collars loose, swap the spring, set the preload (a bit of guessing here on my part... :cry:), and stuff the whole shebang back in the bike. Whole thing took less than 30 minutes.

In the front, the hardest part was finding the correct tool for the job of removing the fork caps. I believe you need a 14mm allen, I used a 9/16" allen that had been ground down a tad. First I pulled the handlebars out of the clamps and hung them out of the way. Remove the caps, pull the spacer with your finger, use a magnet to pull the spring and washer, then slide in the new spring and replace the cap. This whole process took maybe 15 minutes, and I actually did it at the track between laps. Super easy.

Ride report: I only checked it out shortly, but I can say the difference is significant. My wife was SUPER pleased with the results. She felt beat up with the stock springs, cause she was constantly bottoming over the smallest bumps. Now the bike rides higher in the suspension travel, and soaks up the bumps much better. It also seems much more stable in the rocks and chop.

All in all, this is a good mod, recommended for anyone over 100#. Even if you ride mellow and don't jump much, you will appreciate the better feel of your bike with some real springs under it. :cry:

• Like 1

OLDBONES,

Thanks for the feedback. I have a set that I have not installed yet.

Are you planning to put in thicker fork oil to slow down the rebound damping?

How about a fork brace. I found one for $75 that is milled from a chuck. Let me know if you need more info.

I am planning to flat track mine this winter at an indoor series that they run in northern MN.

Ride fast-take chances.

Chad

O.B.~ glad to hear you finally got 'em. They really make all the difference. Is T ready to give them a trial run at Lake Wenatchee this weekend? Hope to see you there. Now you just got to get her the "Real Shift Lever" :cry: and she'll be good to go.

~Nicki

What is the cost for these springs? I'm asking because I'm about ready to buy my wife a TTR 125 L and she weighs in at about 145 lbs and is 5'7" I know she will out grow the bike real fast so I would like to get ready for a up-grade. :cry:

I think the springs front and rear ran about $170. I bought them direct from BBR, they shipped em out same day. If your wife weighs 145, you will want to do this for sure, otherwise the bike will beat her up on the trails. The stock springs are good for maybe 100#...

I don't know what the stock fork oil weight is, but I would like to go a bit heavier, I think that will balance the bike better. The shock seems slower than the forks by quite a bit.

Fork brace may have to wait a bit, but I can see where it would help. Those things are a little flimsy!

And yes, Nicki, I know she needs a new shifter as well. Course, you know, I need a new scotts damper too! :cry:

Hope to see you this weekend! :cry:

I bought my BBR springs from Thumpertalk. They were around $150 and shipping was free. This is my first TT purchase and I was very pleased. I am installing my springs as soon as my shop manual gets here.

Ride fast-take chances,

Chad

I went with 15wt oil in the forks with the BBR springs. No preload on the adjusters. It's a little harsh but tollerable when taking into consideration the improvement in rebound. BBR springs, Pro-Tapers, Rally Pro Guards, exhaust modified, air box modified, rejet, and IMS foot pegs. My wife stated the biggest improvement for her was the foot pegs.

I installed springs front and rear on Friday and rode for the weekend. Awesome.

I slightly overfilled the forks with 15wt and installed the frame cradle too.

We had 9 bikes on a 1/10th mile oval and a small TT track with a 5 foot jump. The TT-R was the most popular bike there.

Very cool bike and a lot of fun.

Ride fast - take chances.

Chad

I put Joker Machine springs in mine. The gf bought them for my B-day. I think she got them thru PartsUnlimited. Big difference. I had to turn the preload down in the rear. But I keep adding more preload in the front. I'm also running with 15 wieght fork oil. This setup is working good for me Motard racing. I have to see how it works ice racing later this year.