Sign in to follow this  

Kicked sideways on long jumps.

Last sat at the track the finish line table was pissing me off, its about 60-65ft and it kept kicking me sideways. I tried hitting it in 3rd then 4th, gripping it with my knees, loosening up. I finally said screw trying it when i ended up landing almost completely sideways which bucked me off and kinda messed up my bike. It was the only jump that was messing with me that day. Could it be suspension related or just me sucking?

i've been wondering the same thing. every once in a while, i'll find that a certain jump gets my ass end all out of whack, and no matter what i do, i can't seem to get it figured out.

Waht was in front of the jump (ie corner) and what was on the other side.

My experience on long table top jumps is, visually, I never looked at the face of the jump. I set up when I first could, as far back as I could then lifted my eyeline beyond the face and into the horizon where I wanted to be.

Same for landing, getting my eyeline off of the landing and out into the track made a huge difference.

The other condition is the wind factor. Your bike and body make one hell of a sail when you're in the air. I've been layed out like a table top in the air at Glen Helen. Landing really blew as well. Hurts like a mother.

A medium speed 3rd gear corner is leading up to it, with plenty of time to straighten out, and the landing is into another 3rd gear corner. Its not a technical jump and usually doesnt give me trouble.

Was the takeoff lip soft? When I have to gas the takeoff and the ramp and lip are soft, that's usually when I have a hell of a time taking off straight. I can usually deal with it in the air (try the de-whip tricks from Acemotocross.com, for example). Still gets my attention, though. :cry:

i wouldnt say its your suspension because there is no way for it to kick one way or another, up maybe. unless your tire is off center or something weird. Or if your off center. As long as you are weighted evenly on the pegs and not off to one side it should be fine. Now the ground is a different story. any ruts or shifts under your tire could be the cause. Usually at the end of a day when the track gets really worked you can notice this. Did you try moving around on the jump or are you taking it in the same spot every time? You have to be real careful with rutted faces and even way before the jump if there are ruts built up. One way to help this out, say you usually take the jump coasting in 4th. drop down to third a bit and shift your weight over the rear wheel just a little, be ready to drop the front end even before you get in the air by throwing your weight forward or using a brake tap. By getting your weight back and gasing it more on the face you should help straighten out the rear end wobble caused by worn uneven surfaces.

It may not be the suspension at all. Many factors affect what is going on in the air (wind, jump lip, type of jump face, etc.). I find that when I get thrown sideways off of a jump there is a lip or rut in the face. Move over one way or the other. Don't use the same line. If none of this works and no one else is having the problem, check your body position on the face and the other things above. My bet is that there is a rut or something on the lip that is causing you to have problems. Use a different line.

James

I had this same problem once which resulted in a wreck. What happened to me was I was on the power too hard and the back end came around the front end. Maybe try to gain your speed before the jump in the straights.

In loving Momery of Tabby

crash

You should try using a different line off the jump and possibly a different line through the corner. Dont allow the jump to get into you head and think that it will always happen because then you are setting your self up to almost make it happen. Also you could use it to your advantage and just pull a slight scrub or whip in that direction so that the jump just adds to the how much you whip it, but you will be ready for it and just have to pull it back in. Make any sense? Or try to whip in the opposite direction and they would probably cancel each other out unless you are pulling some series bubba scrubs.

some of my fellow 450 riders and myself are having the same problem. we're all whiping to the right, soft, hard, rutted or fresh groomed surfaces. not all jumps, as a matter of fact, it usually happens on simpler jumps. never happened on my 250 two stoke.

we need a brainiak-from-smart-tron-five to step up and NOT tell us to do something we can't. i can't whip yet.

whenever that happens to me, i slow the rebound down on the shock and it seems to fix it. i slow it down as much as i can with out it packing in whoops and/or a series of small bumps. also, i found that if i ran too much rear tire pressure i'd get it also. i like to run about 11-12psi.

very good stuff for controling a swaped landing. how do you stop a swaped take-off?

very good stuff for controling a swaped landing. how do you stop a swaped take-off?

my advice was to prevent a swapped take off. the faster your rebound, the more sensitive the rear end will be to jump face imperfections. same with too much tire pressure.

for a swapped landing, i find staying relatively loose and landing on the front wheel keeps you from performing the dreaded high side.

I have been tweaking with my suspension, and working on bike control in the air lately, I've really loosened up and seem to be ahead of the bike now.

...and seem to be ahead of the bike now.

Yeah... me too. In fact, I'm so far ahead, often times it results in an endo. :cry:

that's funny! it seems i needed to soften up in the rear, after doing so it became a lot easier to control swapped landings (jumping is a lot more responsive as well)but i can't seem to find a mechanical solution to the rear-end-right-side-swap. slowing my rebound made my thumper fly like a 250 two stroke, kind of nose up.

still messin with me no matter what i do, i know a few guys with the same problem. missery loves company, but i sure would like to know what we're doing wrong!