Sign in to follow this  

Are there any sportbike calipers that fit on an SM wheel??

I was just wondering if it any of the sportbike calipers would fit onto a 320mm rotor on a set of Excels. I am hopefully going to be building a WR 450 SM over the next few months (if I can sell my Duke) and was thinking it might be cheaper to get a used sportbike caliper/MC combo.

I had the Motomaster SM Racing kit on my old DRZ but I was not too impressed with it; gobs of power but also lots of pulsing in the brakes after about 200km of use. I would love to throw on a 4 pot Brembo (the Duke has phenomenal brakes)or maybe a 6 pot sportbike job.

Thanks. :cry:

I believe you can make them work, but you will need an adapter or relocater bracket. I tried my R6 caliper on my WR...the bolt holes line up, but the angle of the caliper is about 90 degrees off.

Also lookout for the width of the caliper, the R6 caliper is much wider than stock, it would have clearance issues with the spokes.

Goodluck!

they are all way to wide.the only thing ive seen close is from 125gp bikes.

fwiw my motomaster set up has been flawless.wish i could say that about the braking set up on my riders crf........

Tell me about it. I have the 1st generation Braking caliper on my CRF, and am not a fast rider and I cannot go an evening practice without issues. (maybe going as slow as I do is really tough on brakes :cry:)

I have ordered the Motomaster kit for my DRZ, along with an extra bracket to allow it to mount up to the Honda for future testing.

I have heard of many people getting sportbike calipers on their bikes, however as mentioned earlier, you gotta be real careful with the caliper width.

Many on visordown (European site) have experience with this I believe.

Some have even had to grind teh calipers down for clearance, and on occasion grinding too far.

Your best bet is to pony up with the cash for something that is meant to fit.

As for you Motomaster setup from before, did you have the race rotor or street rotor? The race version is thicker, and should be less likely to warp.

Just my thoughts...

-MW

i got hold of this, from aprilia 125, however, it is design on the right hand side, but a customise relocator should solve the problem

DSCN0308.jpg

the thickness of this 4pots caliper is about the same as the MM caliper :cry:

DSCN0315.jpg

Does anyone know if you can get the Motomaster caliper in any other colour? I really detest the bright orange/gold colour and would prefer normal silver or something; pulsing aside my MM brakes did work well. And the pulsing could have been from several things, but if I do it all again I do not want such an eyesore. :cry:

yup brembo 4 pot off a duc and a relocter bracket... If you are interested let me know and I'll give you part numbers... measure the space on your forks should be 4 1/8" center to center or called a 40 mm

I was just wondering if it any of the sportbike calipers would fit onto a 320mm rotor on a set of Excels. I am hopefully going to be building a WR 450 SM over the next few months (if I can sell my Duke) and was thinking it might be cheaper to get a used sportbike caliper/MC combo.

I had the Motomaster SM Racing kit on my old DRZ but I was not too impressed with it; gobs of power but also lots of pulsing in the brakes after about 200km of use. I would love to throw on a 4 pot Brembo (the Duke has phenomenal brakes)or maybe a 6 pot sportbike job.

Thanks. :cry:

rookie517 did you get the rs125 caliper to fit .. got any pics of the bracket?

Cheers

Alistair

crf250r motardist