Sign in to follow this  

crashed on the little green monster

Well went riding, actually more like test driving this weekend. First time out on my '97 KX100. I upgraded from a TTR 125, and am having to learn riding all over again.

We went to the local ORV park, so I could practice different terrain and different styles of hills. While practicing on a smallish hill the little green monster rared it's ugly head. :lol: I reined it in, made it to the top only to remember I forgot to check what was at the top. Here's the picture I saw. Down tree, mid-size branch and a sharp left with thick powder. :lol: ????? What to do?

Panic! Hit the disk brakes too hard (ttr doesn't have them), try to make the turn, hit the powder with the front tire locked up, bike falls to the right and I hit my chest flat on the ground and slide to the down tree branch. I believe I looked like a runner sliding into homebase head first. :lol:

First things first, the dust clears, I'm still alive, :cry: finding it very hard to catch my breath though, the monster is still breathing fire(running), and best of all nobody is anywhere in site. :cry:

So, I quiet the monster, roll over to a crouch and assess the damage. I finally begin to breathe more normally, when my youngest son comes upon the scene. He is the king of crashing, so knows right away what has happened! "Everything OK mom?" I grunt out "Ya, I'll be fine." and off he goes.

I decided to make an attempt to stand and right the monster. After a few more deep breaths I check the monster for damage, finding none, I mount and kick the fire back into it.

I take off down the trail and head back to the group. I forgot that I am still riding the monster and not my ttr, so I didn't blip the throttle enough after the parting of ways and to teach me a well learned lesson the monster threw up all over it's sparkplug (fouled it)! So put, put, put, dead. :cry: I now have the honor of being pulled back to the truck for a fresh plug. :lol: To add insult to injury I am being pulled by my ttr125!

Now back at the truck, I replace the plug. The little monster fires on the first kick. :cry: I let hubby take the monster for a ride with the boys while I clear the cobwebs and assess my total body damage.

Big bruise on left palm, bruise on left upper knee (just above knee protection), both wrists sore, and bite on inside of lower lip. Not bad for my first crash. :cry:

I ride the rest of the day on the little monster, I didn't bail and go back to the safety of my ttr. I did return to the scene and mastered the turn with a little less blip at the top this time. I feel a little better now about riding the little green monster. Still need lots more practice on hills!

Today I feel like the little green monster ran over me a few times while I was laying on the ground trying to catch my breath. :lol: My shoulders are killing me and bruises come in the prettiest colors depending on where they are and how hard you hit to get them. :lol: My lower 3 ribs on both sides are very tender, but not broken. I can see that I will be needing all of the body armor to master riding this little green monster.

Big thanks go out to bbbom, for insisting that barkbusters where the first mod to make! You where right and I still have a brake lever today because of that. :lol:

I will be hitting the practice area again this weekend, but hitting the Motrin all week. :lol:

Sweeeeet!! I'm jealous you got to ride!

:cry: Little green monster! Too true, huh? Its got quite a kick but I'm sure once we get used to it, we'll love it. :cry: How do you like that powerband? Its enough to make me feel like my feet will be flapping in the wind out behind me! :cry: I wish I had been able to practice this weekend.

I have to say I'm relieved that it started right back up after changing the plug, since I had to change mine too but haven't had a chance to start it up. Did you have any problems starting after your crash? I always had to hold the throttle wide open to get it started after stalling.

I'm glad you came out with only minor bruises. How sore are you today? Good luck on your next run and have fun!!

Good thing you didn't do any more damage to you OR the bike. Congrats.....now you have a story to tell again, and again, and again....then your kiddo will start telling it for you. :cry: :cry:

We tend to nickname things in our family, and "little green monster" stuck really fast!

I am sore all over my upper body. I don't know if it is the crash or just riding on the pipe a lot yesterday. You really have to hang on, or pick yourself up out of the dirt.

The monster started right up after the crash. I don't think the plug would have fouled if I would have gotten on the pipe right after the crash. Instead I kind of grannied it back to the group. :cry:

The bike is running awesome though! We changed the tranny oil, the guy we bought it from was using Valvoline motor oil(good thing he only had it a few months and his son didn't like to ride). We also took MXchics advice and started using BelRay H1R 2 stroke oil (I don't know what they were using). When we bought the bike, it smoked really bad and stunk. I cleaned and oiled the air filter and oiled the chain, basically did a full maintence check-up.

I think hubby is worried about me getting hurt on it though.

He wanted me to practice keeping just before the powerband hit. Did I do that? NO! My kids say I ride it faster then Dad does. Fast isn't my problem, technique is though. So your question was,

How do you like that powerband?

I don't like it, I LOVE It!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

This weekend it will be back to the ORV park for more practice, practice, practice. Then out to the woods.

what it the "hit" like compared to a ttr-125? im looking for a 2-stroke 125 but i dont know if it'll be too much. im pretty aggressive so i figure this will suit me well. does the bike stall at the lower rpm's and what do you mean by riding it on the pipe?

This KX100 kicks butt on the ttr 125!

You have to respect the power and powerband (the pipe) on the 2 stroke, the ttr is very easy to ride and control the power. The ttr doesn't have a hard hit when the throttle is turned more, it just easily goes faster.

The "hit" is like being sucked off of the back if your not holding on tight enough. :cry: Riding on the pipe is basically riding in the powerband.

My bike doesn't stall at lower rpm's, but I have heard it can be a problem with 2 strokes. When I'm following my kids, I just blip the throttle to keep it cleaned out.

The other thing to look at with 125 2-strokes is the height of the seat. I am only 5'2" tall, that is why I went with the KX100. It has a lower seat height.

Hope this helps.

Glad the bark busters worked!! Also good to hear you are enjoying it and didn't get hurt too bad. Ribs are terrible, they seem to ache forever after a good hit.

We were at the MX Track all weekend, Pat did well in both of his classes - 80 Beginner & 80 Open Beginner, at least once we figured out why his bike was bogging on the face of the jumps. A cellphone emergency call to Karl saved the day, after going through all of his ideas on diagnosis, and reiterating what it was doing - bogging at the top of the jumps Karl figured it out. He had me pull the nut off the bottom of the carb & see what was in it, thinking we may have some water from washing it. Well, I was quite surprised to find a nice bug leg, bug butt & a hair in the little bowl!!! We yanked out the main jet at the direction of our moto medic on the phone, blew out the rest of the bug, and put it all back together. Bike ran perfect after that.

Sunday Pat took 1st in both 80 Open Beg. motos, and 1st & 3rd in the 80 Beg. motos for two Overall First Place trophies. He also won the points series in the 80 Open Beg and finished 2nd for the series in 80 Beg.

Randi was the hit of the show though. She took 3rd in the Women's Class in both motos, pitting her little KX60 against a KX85, KX125 and two CRF230's. She was the only women rider clearing the double and she just started doing it that day. She almost caught the KX125 in both moto's finishing about 1 bike length behind her in the last moto.

Everyone was amazed at how fast she's riding since she was pretty much a putt-putt last placer when she first started a little over a month ago.

She did great in the 60 Beginner Class too. She pulled in a 4th out of 8 in the first moto and had a solid 3rd in the second moto complete with a holeshot start. But, unfortunatly, her guts, determination and lack of fear caused her to overshoot one of the table tops. She cleared the table and overshot the landing, hit a braking bump and flipped over head first.

Once I realized that the little green bike I saw cartwheel was MINE I was off at a full sprint. Fortunately, the EMT and friend of ours (I thought it was his son that crashed) were there right away cause I had a ways to run. Karl commented that I yelled "It's Randi" and took off so fast he couldn't catch up to me (must be the morning running).

So she was checked out and everything was fine except it looks like the goggles smacked her in her right eyebrow. She has a big blue bump on it and a bruise on her little hip but, she was thinking clearly and walked off the track back to the pits. Everything seems fine with her head except she thinks the bump is ugly. She's one tough little girl.

I asked her if she wanted to still race and she said "well, not right now but when I feel better I will."

She also informed us that she knows she can get first place. I think I need some Valium!

So keep working on it Yamamama64 and kpicha! Randi struggled with her little green monster at first too, now she's giving the boys & the women on big bikes a run for their money, clearing doubles & overshooting tables. We'll be working on technique & control when she heals up!!

The "hit" is like being sucked off of the back if your not holding on tight enough. :cry: Riding on the pipe is basically riding in the powerband.

LOL! That's exactly it! I'm scared to think what a 125 feels like! :cry:

By the way, do you have to get a spark arrestor on your bike? It looks like I'm going to need one for a ride at the end of the month. I was hoping the stock pipe would qualify but I'm not getting the impression that it does (I hope I'm wrong).

Ooo, that's scary when you see your own kids fall like that. I'd be running my heart out, too. I'm glad to hear she's ok. She sure sounds like a fighter!

Congrats on your son (I hope Pat is your son?) placing first, too! That's awesome!

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend! I love reading about everyone's stories!

I'm glad that she is OK. I did a little crash compaired to her. She is one tough cookie :lol: Tell her to heal fast so she can teach me how to ride my little green monster, even half as good as she is riding would be fine with me. :cry:

Great Job to Pat also! :cry: The boys will be in even more awe of him when he shows them his new trophies.

I agree on the Valium, but it will be for Bo! :cry: He really thinks that I am in over my head. I told him that I will have many more crashes before I master the little green monster, but I wouldn't go back to my ttr for anything. Except that tow back to the truck. :cry:

You know bbbom, if you get any faster on your bike I will loose even your dust trail trying to keep up with you. :cry: Just kidding, glad to hear that you are pushing yourself to improve.

well, im 13 and 5'7 so im still gonna be growing for a while. i sat on a yz250 and touched tippy toes so ill be alright on a 125. im thinking about 1 of these for the spring where i'll be a little taller and fit the bike better.

First things first, the dust clears, I'm still alive, :cry: finding it very hard to catch my breath though, the monster is still breathing fire(running), and best of all nobody is anywhere in site. :cry:

YM64....When I ran a KX125, it was suggested to me that I turn the idle screw down to NOTHING, that way, when a 'crash' occurs The Beast stops! Of course, it also means that on downhill runs, the 'blip' is a must do!

There may be some downsides to this, and I was somewhat afraid of the piston getting burnt, but it never happened.

Tom

By the way, do you have to get a spark arrestor on your bike?

I went to this website kwasaki bike info and found that my bike came with a spark arrestor stock. It was also available without it. Lucky for me someone wanted an arrestor before I bought it. I also felt inside and could feel the arrestor pipe. Check the website and your pipe inside, before you buy anything.

Good Luck

I say go for it, ttr125smms120. The adjustment is tough but you'll get the hang of it--just don't get discouraged. It's like riding a whole different beast. The "hit" means that when the power comes on, it comes on all of a sudden, not smoothly like the TTR. The height takes some getting used to also but again it's not THAT bad.

I love you girls' honesty! When I was making the transition from XR to KTM (except I didn't have the XR anymore, no safety to run back to) I told everyone I was doing fine when they asked how I was holding up. Stupid pride!! But there were SO many who told me the KTM was too much bike for me, that I couldn't let them think they were right. They probably were but oh well--I've still got the bike, and we've given each other a TON of bumps and bruises. Anyway I remember feeling exactly all of that and all the frustration too. I'm fairly prone to tantrums as well, hope those don't come so easily to you guys.

Anyway since I played this game 3 years ago, I can say it DOES get better!

Glad to hear it does get better Firecracker. :cry: It makes it easier to keep getting up and trying again.

I do get mad at myself, but I always find it much easier to admit my error and laugh about it. I find by sharing learning errors (crashes, just dumb stuff, etc...), people open up and share theirs also. This way everyone has a laugh and everyone learns.

The most important info I have learned so far

1. Ask questions - someone has already done what you just did, and is more than happy to help.

2. Admit that you don't ride that great and don't get in over you head. You get some really great riding tips that way.

3. Listen, listen, listen! Because people love to share their knowledge and it improves your learning curve.

4. Don't be afraid to try something new and crash. Everyone has crashed and will crash again if they are challenging themselves to get better.

5. Most important! Ride often and enjoy every minute of it. Even the dumb stuff and crashes. :cry:

You're right, and it's different now, but man in the beginning I would NOT accept help.

However, in my defense, I will say that I have NEVER claimed to be faster than I am, or that I don't crash. I just didn't share my crash stories and doubts with all the naysayers.

I hope you weren't defending yourself to me. The things I said in the prior post were general things that I have learned from people like you and others, not aimed at anyone.

I have learned so much talking to people on this forum and reading info on here, I hope someday I can give back like you all do. :cry:

I hope you weren't defending yourself to me. The things I said in the prior post were general things that I have learned from people like you and others, not aimed at anyone.

No, I wasn't; just didn't want anybody to think I was one of those people who thinks she's super cool. God knows I ain't that.

By the way, do you have to get a spark arrestor on your bike?

I went to this website kwasaki bike info and found that my bike came with a spark arrestor stock. It was also available without it. Lucky for me someone wanted an arrestor before I bought it. I also felt inside and could feel the arrestor pipe. Check the website and your pipe inside, before you buy anything.

Good Luck

Ok, I must be blind or dumb but how did you figure out if you had a spark arrestor? I was looking at the muffler diagram for both your bike and mine and I didn't see anything labelled "spark arrestor". Is it the baffle? I'm clueless :cry:

Great link, btw. Lots of good info. :cry: