Sign in to follow this  

MCCT adjustment ?? help needed

After reading few threads about failing acct's on the early models I finaly got paranoid anough to get the manual gizmo.

Now I am not sure how to adjust it though. The manufacturer's instruction(APE) says to turn the engine while tightening the bolt until any contact is felt and then backing up 1/4 of a turn. Well it seems like that would keep the chain way too loose. Since it is only a single, the cams toss the slack around pretty good as they load up and unwind the chain during the rotation. Well this slap is the first thing I feel with the bolt and it doesn't seem right that I would leave it there. What I did then was to rotate the engine into a region where none of the cams seem to put any load on the chain and then adust the bolt until I sensed any change in resistance of turning... Got her fired up to listen for noises, however I also added on a new skid plate at the same time and I can't tell whether the extra noise is due to the plate or the chain :cry:

How do you guys adust this thing?

thanks

1) Remove the automatic cam chain tensioner. Obviously, don’t try to turn the motor with it out!

2) When you initially install the manual tensioner, you put some tension on the guide. You can feel the tension with your fingers when you’re doing the initial set up. Make sure the locknut and the sealing o-ring are backed out of the way so they won’t create any false feelings. Don’t get crazy with the initial tension. Just enough so that you feel the tension on the guide.

3) Once you start the bike and let it idle you back the adjuster bolt off slowly till you here the chain rattle. Than, back in just till the noise goes away.lock the nut down and your done.

Thanks

that makes sence, I'll try that.

BTW how do the acct's fail?? They are some sort of worm drive with a little spring preload-next to impossible to bacdrive..How do they suddenly give in???

04's are ok though right?

The '03 and up is a different design, and as far as we have seen here in TT, and a few other places,, it has not failed on a DRZ,,, but the same design has failed on other Suzuki’s.. So :cry: :cry: Pay yours money and takes your chances.. Me,,, My ACCT is on a shelf, and a nice shiny one from Machinist is in my motor.

Got mine on its way from machinist and I have a 2004, seems like awfull cheap insurance for the alternative of being the first 2004 to fail.. :cry:

Why doesn't Suzuki just put the Manual one on there instead of remaking it over and over again? I bought mine from Hayabusa Zone its the APE because Machinist had just started selling them and no one had gotten them yet and I didn't want to be the first one to try but now that others have I would probably order it from him.

So once you set the tension how often do you have to adjust it? Is a cam chain similar to a drive chain in that it stretches more initially then stretches less? What happens if you over tighten the chain? Does it wear out the tensioner? Thanks Rick I have an 03

If set properly, adjustment is rarely needed. If set to tight then you wear out the chain not the adjuster.

I bought my mcct from Machinist also. My DR-Z400K2 had less than 500 miles on it when I installed it. I pulled the cam cover, checked the tension on the chain, pulled the acct,installed the mcct and set the tension slightly less. The older Hondas I've had in the past had manual tensioners on them. I adjusted them whenever the chain started to rattle.

If set properly, adjustment is rarely needed. If set to tight then you wear out the chain not the adjuster.

BUMP from the dead...:bonk:

yes I tried to search and looked through many threads, BUT.......

I bought a used 04 that seems to have the MCCT....the guy I bought it from didn't know a thing about it....

how often should I check the chain tension?

turning it in, is tightening the chain?

and the way you check it is just by sound??????

tia

BUMP from the dead...:bonk:

how often should I check the chain tension?

When you hear it loose/rattling.

turning it in, is tightening the chain?

Yes

and the way you check it is just by sound??????

tia

Yup

GK

I've got a real problem with setting it by ear. I'm quite deaf, due to teaching in a woodshop for several years plus I did a lot of shooting when I was young (without ear protection). :ride:

Anyway, I tried backing off the MCCT and tried to hear something different. Didn't happen and I was afraid to back off too much. I even tried my engine stethoscope but couldn't tell any difference. :thumbsup: I got my wife to come out and listen but all the engine noises just confused her and she was no help at all. I was afraid to just keep backing out. I ended up going back to the initial set up and leaving it there. I've got 9 threads between nuts - 5/8" on my calipers if I remember correctly. I realize this measurement will vary with the chain condition, but would anyone venture a guess as to how close it is?

Anybody got any suggestions as to how I could do this with the noise method? What happens if I keep backing out the MCCT? Chain skips teeth on cam sprockets? Don't want that happening.:worthy:

thanks

Use the Thumpertalk instructions. Remove the spark plug. Find top dead center. Back out the MCCT until loose (taking the nut and o-ring way back out too). Gently finger tighten back in until you feel resistance. Use a wrench on the flywheel bolt to move the piston up and down a bit while keeping light finger-tight pressure on the MCCT bolt; it should move in just a bit more each time you reverse directions. When light finger-tightening stops tightening it hold the bolt still and tighten the nut back up and you should be done.

Now, why you can't just put it in gear and move the tire back and forth rather than having to remove the flywheel case I don't know. But that is there method.

GK

Use the Thumpertalk instructions. Remove the spark plug. Find top dead center. Back out the MCCT until loose (taking the nut and o-ring way back out too). Gently finger tighten back in until you feel resistance. Use a wrench on the flywheel bolt to move the piston up and down a bit while keeping light finger-tight pressure on the MCCT bolt; it should move in just a bit more each time you reverse directions. When light finger-tightening stops tightening it hold the bolt still and tighten the nut back up and you should be done.

Now, why you can't just put it in gear and move the tire back and forth rather than having to remove the flywheel case I don't know. But that is there method.

GK

The above should give you a ball park setting. Just one thing to add. On the instuctions that came with my tentioner from Thumper Talk shop, they recommend backing off the adjustment 1/4 turn after doing the above.

Does anyone know of any pictures posted on this forum (or other) that shows how far the bolt on the mcct is screwed in? Just to guage how worn out peoples chains are.

I'm doing an install soon and was curious how far these thread in before the cam chain goes phoot! Someone here has to have some idea how far they go in before finally giving up. It'd help me figure out how worn my chain already is, seeing on how my bike has around3500 miles with the acct. < 2001 DRZ400S

Any replies would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Does anyone know of any pictures posted on this forum (or other) that shows how far the bolt on the mcct is screwed in? Just to guage how worn out peoples chains are.

Can't tell you how far it went in, but I can tell you that I have 9 threads showing between the two nuts.

'Course, I'm the guy that had to set by TT instructions because I can't hear well enough to tell when the chain is rattling. :worthy:

Seems to be working fine tho'. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys! I really wanted to guage just how bad my chain might be. I'm still waiting for it to get here (mcct). After the install I'll count the threads between the head and nut. I'll post it up here along with my total mileage using the factory tensioner. Just for future reference for other users??

On a seperate but related note, I must have had one hell of a good time Saturday night! After waking up I headed to the kitchen for a glass of tea. BOOM! Theres the 400 staring me in the face!! I don't remember riding it in, so we all had to have carried it in here. :thumbsup: