Sign in to follow this  

broken pinch bolt on front axel?

My front forks were twisted a little, so I started to loosen the axel pinch bolts (to realign everything) and one of the bolts broke, the other was bent a little. While checking things out I turned my front axel and the tire wobbeled a little, I'm assuming this means a bent front axel. What causes this? also where can I get new bolts and a front axel? Thanks in advance.

mine (pinch bolts) did the same thing about 2 years ago.

i got 4 (replace them all) new grade 8.8 (sae grade 5) bolts at Tractor Supply Co. and used some (sae grade 8) washers with them. since the bolts i got were a touch longer, i had to tap the rest of the fork leg threads and the bolts stick out one thread at the bottom. the odd thing is the head is 13mm and not 12mm like oem. cost me all of a buck 30 or so to fix since i already had the tap.

not sure on your axle.

No amount of bending of the axle will cause your wheel to run out of true. The axle simply supports the bearings, which suport the hub, which supports the rim with the spokes. Only if the axle is bent so badly that the two wheel bearings are not parallel to each other is it a problem.

If the bearings are very worn and loose, it can cause a little bit of movment at the rim. Theoretically, if the balls in the one of the bearings were different sizes, or the pocket in the hub were out of round, it would cause run out too, but by far the most common reason for a wobbly wheel is that the spokes need tightening/truing (minor case) or the rim is bent.