Sign in to follow this  

05 525EXC or 05 450EXC

Hello all I have just sold my 02 CRF450 and am in the market for a new bike. I'm 6' 220 and ride mostly tight trail but love to do hill climbs and wider trails with huge berms going all out in the sand. I was thinking of getting the 525 or the 450. I want a bike with similar traits of the crf but understand that the crf is a mx bike and the exc is a trail bike. I have an awfull image in my head that the 450exc is indentical to an xr400 and It isn't going to have the power i'm looking for. I'm wondering if I get the 450exc I will regret it later. I love doing wheelies and dont know if the 450 is capable of 2nd-3rd gear wheelies. But I would still like to go 5mph through single track without the 525 stalling and over heating. As you can see i'm in a real dilema and really need some advice. One day I want the 450 the other I want the 525 Could anybody give me some advice.

I will throw in my two cents. I had a 02 525exc and now own a 04 450exc. I also have a o4 crf-250 and ride my friends 04 crf450 regularly. I weigh 205 and ride/race mostly tight NW washington woods. Neither the 450 or 525 exc hit as hard as your crf does. Either bike will do 2nd or 3rd gear wheelies. The 525 has more torque than your crf450 and the 450exc has a little less. They both have a smooth power delivery that never scares you. The 450 revs quicker than the 525. I am faster at race speeds on the 450 because it transitions into turns better than the 525, feels lighter, and tires me out less. For hill climbing, the 525 is easier and the king. I can totally dominate the 450 for most of the race. At 220lbs, the 525 is definately the bike for you. It is easier to ride than the honda. If I wern't racing and only play riding, I would be on another 525. Either way, the exc's are better off-road bikes than the current honda. Time will tell how the crf-450x does, but it is hard to beat years of refinement that the ktms have.

Chris

I just sold my 2003 CRF450 and bought a 2005 525 MXC and I could not be happier.

I was also concerned about missing the CRF's power if I went to the KTM 450. After getting advise from others that had done the CRF to KTM switch, I decided to get the 525. The 525 lacks the CRF's upper end hit but it makes up for it in low end grunt.

I just got done breaking my 525 in today at Bartlett on a 30+ mile loop and this bike is unbelievable. On the same loop, on my CRF, my hands would have been hamburger and I would have had arm pump in the first part of the ride. On the MXC I could have ridden another twenty miles and still felt better than I did on my CRF at just 30 miles. I didn't realize how much the CRF hammered me until today!

Get the MXC and have the dealer swap tanks with an EXC, gear it down to 13/50 and I am confident you will not miss your CRF. :cry:

With any watercooled bike without a radiator fan, you must maintain 8+ mph to permit proper cooling. Go much slower for long and it will boil the coolant. I recommend the 525 with extra flywheel weight and a JD jet kit.

Cher'o,

Dwight

The 05 has a new ingition curve, so power comes on real early and develops in a linear smoothness, which tends to be refined and civilised. Go a leaner needle than stock and keep the main and pilot stock, smooth as, no flame outs and good economy, but hugh wads of power. Yep go the 525

The 05 has a new ingition curve, so power comes on real early and develops in a linear smoothness, which tends to be refined and civilised. Go a leaner needle than stock and keep the main and pilot stock, smooth as, no flame outs and good economy, but hugh wads of power. Yep go the 525

DO NOT GO LEANER ON THE NEEDLE. The USA bikes come with EPA Green sticker jetting which is too lean to start with. Put i the JD jet kit and you will have perfect jetting. It will be a lot richer on the needle and prevent overheating and backfireing.

Cher'o,

Dwight

Hey Sonic,

Just wanted to give you my input on my new 05 525 EXC as I did come off a XR400. It just doesn't do the KTM justice when you compare the two bikes, the KTM is in a totally different league. 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies? No prob for the 525. It's nice to go cruising on trails nice and slow when you want, but have the option to open it up and leave everything in the dust! Go with the 525, you'll love it!

Brian

Another vote for 525. If I bought the 450, I'd be wasting thousands trying to get more power out of it. With the 450, I'll waste less money.