Sign in to follow this  

I need a good onroad/offroad tire

Well i ride ALOT on the streets, not legally, but to get to my pits and trails, and by my house. But i also ride ALOT of offroad pits and trails. Would this tire still be good on the trails and pits? The pit is soft sand and the trails are rocks and hard pack. Is this a good tire for very good street use wear and good offroading capability? If not could you show me one?

http://rockymountainatv.com/home.asp?sid=0005481847

Ive had good luck with the metzeler karoo, steel belted 140/80/18

and the Bridgestone E661 front. The popular & cheap choice seems

to be the kenda trackmaster. There is also the rear Terraflex, it

is a monster.

I'm running IRC BR99 front and rear and they work fine for me. Plus they're pretty reasonable. I've got about 300 road miles on them plus several hours off road and no noticable wear yet.

I really like the kenda Trackmaster II, I ride mostly off road and it preforms really well. Don't ride the street much but it does pretty well.

My two cents. I have put 30,000 miles on my KLr dual sport in the last year and a half. I have tried many tires. motorcycle all-terrain tires are rated in a percentage of Street/dirt. Such as The Michelin Anakee is like a 95/5 meaning it is intended 95% for street use. I have found I cannot beat the ultra cheap Duro Median rear tire. It's like $50 from DennisKirk.com . It's a 60/40 tire. I cant express how well it does street and dirt. I have literally ground almost an inch off my foot pegs on the pavement with these tires, and they do really great in the mud, and decent in sand. For a front I like both the Duro median, as well as the Kenda K761. The kenda doesnt track quite as well in the loose mud, as the Duro, but the Kenda is ROCK solid on the road at 50+ degree lean angles. The duro front does good off-road, but was a little shadey at over 45 degree lean angles on the road, though I must ad it was predictable, it didnt just wash out all at once. These are CHEAP tires, but cant be beat on the road unless your go all the way to a 95/5 type tread design.And they do great off-road. I was given some "GREAT" metzler tourance tires with 60% tread left. I was slipping and sliding all over the place on the twisites on those useless things, and they suck in the Mud. True, the more expensive tires will go for more miles, but thats because they are a harder tire compound, and there goes your traction for aggresive street stuff. As far as the cheap tires..... Who cares if they dont last quite as long if you can buy front and rear for only $100!!!

Enjoy. Scroll down on this page to see the $50 tires grinding a peg Killboy professional photography

Cheers!

Tres

I just bought a Kenda K-270 for my front. i'm in the same situation with riding on the roads to get to my trails. probably the only difference is i do wheelies and stoppies the whole way there and back which simply DESTROYED my front knobby in record time. i'll give everyone the update on offroad performance and wear of the kenda

i also do wheelies and stoppies the whole way, also by my pit there is a bunch of street bikes that do the crazy stuff, so i try to do it with em as well.

I like the Dunlop D606 tyre. I ride hardpack/mud/clay and the tire hooks pretty good for those conditions. I don't ride in sand at all, but I've read reports that this tire isn't so great in those conditions. Holds up real good on the street.

Around $50 a tire.

I ran the trackmasters previous to the Dunlop. Hookup was about the same, but it wore quite a bit quicker on the road. They are a cheaper tire though.

My two cents. I have put 30,000 miles on my KLr dual sport in the last year and a half. I have tried many tires. motorcycle all-terrain tires are rated in a percentage of Street/dirt. Such as The Michelin Anakee is like a 95/5 meaning it is intended 95% for street use. I have found I cannot beat the ultra cheap Duro Median rear tire. It's like $50 from DennisKirk.com . It's a 60/40 tire. I cant express how well it does street and dirt. I have literally ground almost an inch off my foot pegs on the pavement with these tires, and they do really great in the mud, and decent in sand. For a front I like both the Duro median, as well as the Kenda K761. The kenda doesnt track quite as well in the loose mud, as the Duro, but the Kenda is ROCK solid on the road at 50+ degree lean angles. The duro front does good off-road, but was a little shadey at over 45 degree lean angles on the road, though I must ad it was predictable, it didnt just wash out all at once. These are CHEAP tires, but cant be beat on the road unless your go all the way to a 95/5 type tread design.And they do great off-road. I was given some "GREAT" metzler tourance tires with 60% tread left. I was slipping and sliding all over the place on the twisites on those useless things, and they suck in the Mud. True, the more expensive tires will go for more miles, but thats because they are a harder tire compound, and there goes your traction for aggresive street stuff. As far as the cheap tires..... Who cares if they dont last quite as long if you can buy front and rear for only $100!!!

Enjoy. Scroll down on this page to see the $50 tires grinding a peg Killboy professional photography

Cheers!

Tres

can you provide a link for the duro median tire? thanks

The median Looks like a decent 50/50 tire, but I seriously doubt its agressive

enough for the areas you describe, sand pits. Not much better looking

then the deathwings "trailwings" all us DRZ/KLX owners replace.

hf904.jpg

This is what I run for a rear, get about 1500 usefull dirt/street miles out of

it, then maybe another 1500 street only, and I can lean it over pretty

far on the street. Good in mud & sand also. Metz karoo 140/80/18

MCE%20Karoo.gif

This is what I run for the front, deep well spaced knobs and it has

a little better center contact patch then most other agressive fronts.

Bridgestone E661, they have a rear E660 also, but I like the karoo.

g4802.jpg

I like these...

TKC 80

You can scrape the pegs on pavement and they do well on harder off road surfaces. Decent wear too.

S7

Those do look pretty meaty, how do you like them in the soft stuff..?

I like these...

TKC 80

You can scrape the pegs on pavement and they do well on harder off road surfaces. Decent wear too.

S7

The median Looks like a decent 50/50 tire, but I seriously doubt its agressive

enough for the areas you describe, sand pits. Not much better looking

then the deathwings "trailwings" all us DRZ/KLX owners replace.

hf904.jpg

This is what I run for a rear, get about 1500 usefull dirt/street miles out of

it, then maybe another 1500 street only, and I can lean it over pretty

far on the street. Good in mud & sand also. Metz karoo 140/80/18

MCE%20Karoo.gif

This is what I run for the front, deep well spaced knobs and it has

a little better center contact patch then most other agressive fronts.

Bridgestone E661, they have a rear E660 also, but I like the karoo.

g4802.jpg

what size would i need for the karoo, ive got a 100/100/18 now.

Not sure how big you can go, but I have a 140/80/18 on my KLX stock 18.

www.ronayers.com was the cheapest place I found them. The front Karoo

is ok, but more of a 50/50 tire, thats why I switched to something

more agressive up front. What bike do you have? Maybe ask in the

bike specific forum how big you can go without clearance issues.