Sign in to follow this  

stock vs. big 'ol desert tank?

I recently aquired a '96 xr400, with it, the guy through in a huge, semi-clear off-white desert tank, the capacity of which I am not sure. It needs a little work(new petcock valve/a good cleaning), but, as I held it up to the bike I couldn't help but think that it was way too much for my usual one-day rides, and that it was so big it would totally effect the handling--even if it wasn't full.

I would like to feel secure in how much gas I have in taking rides over 50 miles, but I guess I'm not even sure how far I can go on the stock tank, and, if it is even worth swapping out.

Should I put it on anyway, just for safety/security, or is it too cumbersome for the usual trail riding that I do?

any help appreciated...

:cry: Yo,

I have that stock tank and a Mikuni Pumper carb. I can put 100 miles on that beast between fill ups. That's running on tight twisting trails in the woods, lots of hill climbs, non-highway miles......if you know what I mean! :cry:

This is running it dry, no reserve left! Hehehehe! I also layed it down to slosh the gas over to the petcock! Hey, I was stuck in the woods :cry: The reserve has 9 miles on it! I know! I only had to walk about 3 more miles to camp. :cry:

Sure, go only 85 miles between fill ups.....if you're a wussy! :lol::cry:

Stock tank is good for 85 miles safely. Maybe more if you're gentle on the throttle.

i agree, the stock tank will get you at least eighty miles. i run the large tank that you have, it is 4 or 4.2 gallons. yes, it took a little while to get used to but now i can ride several days without a fill up. i did put in heavier springs though, to compensate (.46 kg racetech).

i go fairly easy until 0.5 has been used then the suspension feels fine

with the desert tank, i can go 200 miles if need be! i've actually done this, with witnesses

I agree, 80-90 miles is pretty standard for the stock tank. I have the IMS 4 gal desert tank on my XR4. It is not cumbersome in the sense of it's size or shape and effecting rider ergonomics(cockpit area/room). It's as slim as the stock tank. You "will" notice a handling difference from the extra weight but you get used to it quickly. I don't notice it any more. I love not having to think about gas when I go out riding on all day treks. I installed 3/4" spacers at the top of my fork springs for a little more preload to compensate for the exra weight until I get around to getting new springs or having my suspension professionally done. After having the big tank for awhile, I wouldn't want to go back to the stock one.

I use the Clarke 3.8 gal tank. Since installing it last year, I have no desire to ever use the stock tank again. The Clarke does not feel any wider than stock and it's nice to know there is plenty of gas if I discover a new trail to take while out riding.

I thought this would be a good place for my first post. Great websight!!!

I just spent a weekend riding an XR4 with the 4 gallon IMS tank and here are a few observations. First, I was riding with two other XR4s, an XR200 and a Husaberg FX600. The bike I was riding was the only one with a larger fuel tank and, because of that, I frequently volunteered for reconnoitering runs. The difference in ergonomics was not very apparent except for ducking tree branches and willows. My chest would hit the top of the fuel tank. The difference in handling was minimal as well. At the end of the ride, the Husaberg was running on fumes, the XR200 had been on reserve for about 5 miles, and the two XR4s had a quart or so remaining. My odo read just over 80 miles and the others had ridden only 72 miles. I hammered that bike because I knew I didn't have to conserve fuel and still wound up with just under half tank remaining. The point is, if you always wind up riding in a group with smaller tanks, then something like the 4 gallon IMS is unnecessary. But it certainly does offer peace of mind.

Tom