Sign in to follow this  

this forum has good advice and bad

being in the health care field as a physical therpy director this forum has always caught my attention. at times there is really good information here and at other times some of the suggestions are down right hilarious(and dangerous). i think it would benifit everyone if in your profile you would list your occupation so posters looking for medical advice would know what they are getting. i'm not saying that you need a medical degree to post here because frankly personal experience is often times better than in depth medical explanations. i just think it would help people know if the response they are getting is based on personal experience, medical background, or just someone tring to get a post count up repling with info they heard through the grape vine. i hope i dont get flamed for posting this. my intent was not to upset anyone, just to make this site better. TT has a lot of great people from Dr's, nurses, therapist, chiopractors, athletic/personal trainers,and everyday people with first hand experience that could really add to this forum. i hope everyone understands where i coming from and updates their profiles. please keep posting. the good advice is great and the bad keeps me entertained as i read through :cry:

Might not be a bad idea,but I've had some really crappy advice from medical pros. Mostly I just look for people who have a similar experience and see what they have to say,filter it through the BS meter and take out the bits that sound promising. Stay away from "Home Surgery for You!" and "Set it and Forget it Bone Repair" threads and it'll be :cry:

Dav, You're quite right about being careful about advice and where it comes from. The biggest problem in giving advice is that every situation and injury is different. What works for one person/injury doesn't necessarily work for another.

The biggest thing is, with injuries anyway, find out WHAT the problem really is from a reputable (and yes, some Dr's, Physios, whatever are better than others and some are better with certain injuries than others) medical professional. Rehab it (and no, that's usually no fun)

Also, research is constantly showing new findings and often there are contradictions to old research (and then, just for fun, it will switch back again!!).

Weight training suggestions pretty much drive me insane with all the stuff you hear. I like the KISS (keep it simple stupid) rule until you know what the heck you're really doing and WHY??? My background is simple though, I just have Weight Training courses, etc. but I work in an Athletic Department with access to Physio's & Sports Med Dr's and Trainers. I don't have the time, or the background, to understand more than the basics. The thing is, most people fail in the basic aspects of their programs.

I'm definitely open to have others make suggestions or argue anything I write.

As I'm sure Dav will agree, his profession and others in the Biz require HUGE amounts of time doing updates and courses to keep current with all the new stuff. Good Physio's rock! :cry:

Having said all this, the problems/solutions you read here are generally sport specific (Dirt biking) and sport specific is where really neat findings occur. I do enjoy reading all the postings and advice given (whether it may be good advice or "not so good"- the perspective's are all interesting).

Hopefully anyone using this forum has the sense to 'filter' the info thru the BS machine. I don't think adding our professions would negate that need anyway. Just cause I'm an RN doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about. Usually when there's let's say unhelpful info in a post others point it out fairly quickly. Since most of us have been injured in this sport we've been there and done that and can tell others what worked for us. You takes the good with the bad when you gets it for free.

I dont see whats so wrong with telling someone to sacrifice a chicken at midnight and use leaches on the forhead to fix a broken collor bone :cry:

For the most part I think most people advise on thier experiance that is never a bad thing. I have also noticed that most if not all will first say See a Dr.

:cry:

You should be more specific, and remember that different doctors can have very different protocols. I myself am going through the 4th week of rehab from an ACL reconstruction. As a result of my insurance changing over due to having started a new job 6 months ago, I am going to 2 different Orthos. They have very different opinions on brace and crutch useage, and activity level. The rehab folks have different opinions also, but, surprisingly, have been more informative than the doctors.

Joe :cry:

Dav,

Interesting post!! I hope I'm not on the black list.

not at all :cry: just wanted to get posters thinking before they replied. i would hate for someone to take bad advice and further injury themselves. overall i think this forum has some very good information people just need to be carefull and weed through some of the "off the wall" suggestions

"hi everybody!"

"hi Dr Nick!"

"as a graduate of the Hollywood upstairs medical school..."

:cry: :cry:

Yes, seriously, serious stuff needs professional attention...

But the sharing of experiences can also be very useful...

David

Nothing really helpful to share just an interesting story on the difference in doctor's. I guess some Dr.'s are in it because they can remember things and some are in it because they understand what they actually learned and care.

I dislocated my knee in 95 and went to see Ortho Dr. 1. He said it felt okay and stay off it, ice it and it should be fine. I never fell on it again but it always felt wrong, kinda loose. Went to see Ortho Dr. 2. He looked a the Xrays from Ortho Dr. 1 and said I needed a MRI because it looked out of place. Torn ACL and Medial meniscus. Funny part about it is that Dr. 1 now worked for Dr. 2. Dr. 2 said he would have to have a talk with him.

Just a thought. Is there any liability attatched to someone stating they are a professional (ie. Dr, RN, Physio etc.) giving advise on a forum, then having someone try to hold them accountable? I know a few younger Dr.s that are freinds of mine and they are afraid of liability that everything is a Cover Your As&*# approach. I hope that doesn't happen here.

Just a thought. Is there any liability attatched to someone stating they are a professional (ie. Dr, RN, Physio etc.) giving advise on a forum, then having someone try to hold them accountable? I know a few younger Dr.s that are freinds of mine and they are afraid of liability that everything is a Cover Your As&*# approach. I hope that doesn't happen here.

It shouldn't be like that but it seems more and more it is. I know Canada and UK have frivolous lawsuit bans; which is something that we really need here in the states. If a sign says "Danger Do Not Enter" and you enter, it should be your dumba$$ fault. Not enough people take responsibility for their own actions anymore and it sickens me.