Sign in to follow this  

AP Linkage '02 WR250F

Guys, i need to know how your linkage operates normally. I had my carb apart this weekend for general P.M and noticed that when i held the slide wide open, the linkage did not go all the way down to the metal stop molded in the side of the carb housing.

I have not messed with this linkage and thusly i do not know what normal operation looks like. I took care of my bog with lj's and diaphragms. I can advnace the linkage manually with my finger to the stop with no resistance and it still discharges fuel.

Examining the linkage, it seems pretty simple. Two opposing springs and a actuator rod. I checked the rod, it was straight. I checked for gunk in the pivot of the arm, it was clean.

Before i go any further, i would like to get some advice from someone that knows what a properly operating unit should do. I do not want to create a problem if one does not exist, know what i mean???

The pump will not necessarily use the full stroke of the diaphram. It depends on the cam running the pump and the diaphram stud length.

You don't have a problem if the pump is set to actuate per the manual tuning section for the carburetor.

James

Thats the problem JD, after the spring has pushed the cam to a stopping point, short of the stop on the side of the carb, i can further depress it with little to no resitance until i feel it bottom out on the diaphragm cover.

I found some rod stock, back off of my idle adjustment until the slide was @ 1.5mm, checked it again and it is the same.

So you are saying that the rivet on the bottom of the diaphragm should be the only thing in a non modified AP linkage circuit that would inhibit the travel?

The diaphram does not need to bottom out. If you've set the pump freeplay with a rod per the manual, your timing and pump stroke are correct as long as there is no binding or dirt stopping the linkage.

The tab was made to mount a stop screw, but it does not need to be used when you have leak jets to adjust instead.

James

1.jpg