Sign in to follow this  

acrylic nails + riding = ?

Hey girls this is a serious question even though it might sound embarrasingly girly!

Do any of you have acrylic/gel/fibreglass/false nails and what are they like riding? I used to have them before I started riding and I want to get them again but not sure if I'll end up breaking them (anyone who has had them will know the pain I am talking about...)

I have acrylic nails. They never have bothered me when riding but I do keep them on the short/active length side.

Just don't crash!!!! :cry:

thanks.

I used to have ones about a quarter of a inch off the end of my fingers - that would be too long i guess. I'd have to buy new gloves too my fingers only just fit in them now. So you don't knock them at all? Knowing me I probably would cos i would be thinking about it too much!

I went a few times back when I had nails, and they hurt; the end of the gloves (which did fit) pushes them in and they get really sore afterwards. Even if your gloves are long enough, they might still push on the ends. If they were fairly short you might be ok.

The good thing is, they're strong enough to act as great screwdrivers! My real nails are so soft I can't even open a beer can with them or anything normal like that.

same here! I have to get someone else to open cans for me too. Oww i can imagine they might get pushed in in gloves. Woe is me - I am torn between beauty and riding!!

I've NEVER had acrylic nails! :cry: So I wouldn't know about those... although my natural nails grow pretty well, and I know when those are too long they get in the way of my rock climbing, although I've never had them bother my riding... I think if you can choose something other than 'dragonlady' length, you'll be ok! :cry:

I had acrylics, although they do not do well around some of the stuff you clean air cleaners with.. But no worries, I can't have them anyway since I started playing guitar. They are too thick and I can't fret!

Seriously though I played ice hockey too with them. I would break them sometimes still, even though I kept them at an athletic length.... :cry:

I've had acrylics a couple of different times and been riding with them. They haven't ever bothered me. I usually forget about them. I guess as long as they aren't too long you'll be ok.

:cry:

I have fake nails. If I ride for a log time they get a little sore from the gloves pushing down on them but other than that I've never had a problem

Hmm, am still in two minds about it. They look so very nice but hurt soo much when they break! And cost so much.

Oh well - dilemmas.... The price we pay for beauty....

I have them. I have solar (look like a French Manicure). They're tough.....and since they're only buffed and not painted they look good as new once washed. My gloves are a little big to accommodate the length. I don't wear them very short. Maybe about 1/4 in.+. I have crashed and damned if I find every other part of my body to land on besides my nails. :cry:

Go for it! You can ride AND be beautiful. :cry:

that is good news :cry: I do like to be beautiful when i ride :cry: maybe I will get them again - I get the gel ones that are clear with french tips - acrylics lift off on me because apparently I have oily nails or something? Freak that I am....

Plus they are most excellent for giving back scratches!

Never had acrylic nails...I got the crappy fine hair in the family...but man did I ever inherit strong nails!! I have to keep them in check or they'll get long..and they are very strong too! They'd rather bend backwards (the entire nail :cry:) than break!

Once on a sailing trip I bent one all the way backwards while trying to change a sail. That was the last time I had 'long' nails. Now I keep em at 'active' length!

I hate seeing what those acrylics do to the natural nail beds once they are removed...yikes!! :cry:

I hate seeing what those acrylics do to the natural nail beds once they are removed...yikes!! :cry:

That is why I quit doing my nails. My natural nails are pretty soft and don't grow very well (even when I'm good about my vitamins), so for a couple of years I had fake nails. Acrylics. After a while, it was just too painful. By the end of it you could push in on the top of my nail and it would bend . . . just like normal skin. Plus, for the next 2 or 3 years my nails grew back in funny with ripples in the top of them or a funny corner at the outside of the curve. They're just now back to normal. Plus, especially if you do them at home, there's the risk of developing an infection underneath! I have seen it happen to a friend and it is NASTY. Make sure your manicurist uses some type of antifungal or whatever disinfectant they need to use.

They are NOT good for your nails, but I do miss the way my nails looked.

I've worn acrylics since I was 19. Since I'm 37 now.....YIKES! I take a break every 6 months or so. I can only wait about 2 weeks before I get another set. If you take them off correctly (soak in polish remover) they don't do as much damage to the nail bed. Unfortunately, if y'all are as impatient as I am....you end up prying them off bit by bit.

I'd be concerned about getting gel....they're not very tough.

ouch - i know prying them off is hard to resist! Gels can't be soaked off you have to have them pried up and clipped off bit by bit its horrible since it still wants to adhere to your nail! If you thought bikini waxing was bad - I have to say I think having nails removed is worse. And they are disgusting underneath since the nails havent had oxygen for months on end!

Might just leave it for a while- besides they're just one more thing to pay for!