Sign in to follow this  

OT/ My sons' XR50 is leaking gas from the reserve tube

Guys,

I tried to post on the XR site but no one seemed to know yet. Anyways, I've never had a question on my DRZ400 that you guys couldn't help with so I thought I would ask here.

Anyways, I replaced my sons XR50 forks and while doing so I removed the gas tank. Today, after I put everything back together, and turned the fuel on and started it, it seemed to run fine. Then I notice gas dripping constantly from the release tube that dangles to the bottom of the bike that comes from the fuel bowl. (I don't know what that's called but so I hope you know what I'm talking about). The only way to stop it so far is by shutting off the fuel. Has anyone seen this before. I've had the gas tank off on many bikes and never seen this before. Any help would be great. Thanks>> :cry:

Sounds like you might need to take the carb apart and clean it. Maybe the float is sticking due to trapped dirt, out of adjustment or the float valve might have some build-up around the sealing end or be worn enough to allow passage of gas but no be noticeable with the eye. Sort of a cupping effect. Then again maybe it is something else...

The float is stuck and gas is running out the vent. Tap on the side of the carb float with a screwdriver handle.If that doesn,t work you will have to take off the float bowl to see what the prob is.

Tapping it didn't work, time to take the carb apart. What should I be looking for?

:cry:

Most likely there is a chunk of crud holding the float needle off the seat. If it's a normal carb take the float bowl off, pull the pin that holds the float and the needle will come out with the float. Note how it comes apart. Should be very straightforward.