Sign in to follow this  

xr50 clutch lock nut removal?

I cant get if off with the tools that I have.....I was trying use right angle needle nose pliars to try to break it free but no luck. Im installing the 88cc kit and have to take off the clutch to install the high flow oil pump first.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks man.....thats exactly what Im looking for! After looking at it Im thinking about sacraficing a cheap socket. Has anybody else done this? If so, do you know the size socket? Im not even sure it will work, since im sitting at my desk at work, but I imagine that I could notch out the correct size socket with a carbide dremel blade...or something similiar and make the thing tonight for under 5 bucks. Thanks again!

Dude no, and dont buy that you dont need it. All you need is a hammer and a screw driver to bend them, no special tool required. Its actually very simple and thats how I did mine.

Ok...I'll give it another try tonight. I just couldnt get it to break free last night. Thanks for the replies....one other thing....Does the stoke plug work ok with the 88cc kit?

Yup, Im still running the stock plug in my 88. I actually think it is better because it is a hotter plug which means you get better ignition of the fuel in the chamber which means more power.

True, just be careful. I burned up a piston in a 125 two stroke with a hot plug. Caused a heat fracture and blew the cylinder. Ran awesome until it cratered.

Dingus, jester, and Tim,

Thanks for the help! I wasn't able to break it free with a screwdriver and hammer. I gave it a couple of hits and it wasn't moving....all i was doing was gouging the nut with the screwdriver......it was on really tight!

Tim - thanks for the link and pics....as you know, I am planning on riding at njorvp at the NJ thumpertalk ride, so ording the wrench was a last resort. I was going to put it back together in stock form so my son could ride on sat. and do the 88cc/oil pump install when the wrench was delivered.......but I ended up grinding a small adjustable wrench. I ground it thinner and then ground the jaws into two skinny "fingers" that would fit into that damned lock nut. It worked like a charm! I'll post pics later so if anybody else has a frozen locknut, they could make one too. I used a cheap harbor freight adjustable wrench and a bench grinder. Now Im ready to drill the oil passage and complete the install.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Mike

Hmmm, thats the first time Ive heard of someone not being able to get the locknut off with a hammer and screwdrive, mine bent right over and came off easily. But glad to hear ya got it off, and let us know how your son likes the new power when you get it together.

maybe we're talking about two different parts? I was able to use a small flat head screwdriver to bend the tabs of the locknut washer back to almost straight, but the locknut would not budge. I tried hammering a screwdriver and a punch against it, but no luck.....it was really threaded tight! Maybe overtorqued from the factory? Instead of taking the chance of boogering up the nut...or having the screwdriver slip and tear up the surrounding clutch assemby, I decided to grind the adjustable wrench to fit the nut....then some vise grips on the modified wrench at a 90 degree angle....and viola!....that little biatch broke free and unthreaded!....what a great moment! I'll post some pics later.

Mike

:cry: That was the problem, I thought you were talking about the clutch locknut tabs. Well, glad you figured things out and got it off.

when I threw on my trailbikes clutch it was about 10 at night and I was far too impatient to wait another day simply to go buy a new (and probably overpriced) socket.

I knocked it off with a punch and a deadblow. :cry: