Sign in to follow this  

2004 OTBG 24 HR Race Preparation story (long)

24 hr race preparation!

For about 3 weeks now I have been even more of a freak than usual! The 24 HR bug is back! No not the flu. The race! THE RACE. To me this is the ultimate event of any kind. In these days of extreme sports, and with all the crazy stuff people do everyday to push themselves, this race should seem like no big deal. In fact it is the for real deal.

No other off-road event will test equipment like this event. No other event requires the ability to plan, forecast, and prepare like this one. Mental tests come into play constantly, such as the ability to pay attention and focus for hours while sleep deprived, the ability to be resourceful, the ability to be a team player, and the ability to push one’s self past comfort zones. That accounts for much of the beauty of the event. So many man hours of creative, innovative, and proactive thought going into EVERYTHING!

To be competitive in this complex event you need to hustle. I mean ride hard and pit fast. Realize that there is no longer such thing as “it is a long race, take it slow” anymore. Understand this is a motocross pace race! Team members are each being clocked every turn on the bike, each lap they ride. Much bragging rights are on the line, both within teams and between teams. Everyone is there to do their best and help their team. The atmosphere of greatness reflects the aurora of the champions who grace the pits.

The host club is called “The Over The Bars Gang.” They are quite a crew. The OTBG have created a legend! No other club has mastered the complexities of holding multiple events within the same month, for months in a row. They have their collective act together! This fun loving group of go-getters has materialized my ultimate fantasy. The opportunity to ride my bike all day and night!

Lots of folks will enter the event as a member of a team. This is a rare opportunity to pit individual competitors together for a greater good. Teams can use their own bikes unless entered in the pro class, where only one bike is used! I will race the Ironman class that consists of one person on one bike.

Racing the event solo has advantages and disadvantages. First off, I don’t have teammates to let down. The race is on my shoulders alone. I savor the chance to challenge myself in a controlled environment. A distance, endurance, event allows me to extend pain and suffering to sufficient levels to provoke self-actualization. I love the challenge. The disadvantage is the real possibility of an extreme case of monkey butt.

The greatest part of off-road motorcycle racing, to me, is how it forces you to be in the moment, every moment. Racing creates a pure form of being. While you ride you are totally alive! You are maintaining unfaltering focus and vigilance at all times! There is no past and no future, only split second reactions to the supreme feeling of flying fast over the Earth! For me, the more of that the better, and a 24 HR dose is just what I need!

I need to mention all the support and preparation that is needed to compete. I plan on having a pit team of awesome people to keep me going. I learned last year that I need tons of help! A few of the things that I need help with are changing up to 6 air filters, a mid-race oil change, tire changes if needed, light mounting and set-up, emergency repairs, food preparation, gear preparation, and keeping track of laps so I don’t run out of gas.

Some of the other things I will rely on my pit team for is information about the progress of my competition, notification of important information from race officials, drying out wet gear, planning out stops for food and life saver girlfriend massages. Someone else starting the bike in the pits each time will be a big help! Beyond that there is filming it for prosperity, begging for needed resources such as batteries and toilet paper, and making sure there is no place to lay down in the middle of the night when I really want to sleep.

For the past few weeks I have been focused on resource gathering. I have been working super hard to pay for the bike parts I feel like I need. Like lights. Bright ones! I have stripped my bike down to the frame and have been meticulously reconstructing each part and bearing. This time consuming effort is required to fully prepare the machine for several hundred miles in a day. In truth, this is the only way I can assure myself that I have done everything possible to prepare my trusty steed for battle.

Fall projects like house painting and roof cleaning are underway to allow future time to train and ride. I look for projects that are hard on the hands like shoveling and raking to build calluses. Even when I mow the lawn I see the world in YZ!

I can’t wait for the 24 HR race Halloween weekend Oct 30-31! Even though there is still a few weeks to train and get ready, I feel under the gun. So much to do and learn before the event! I greatly value the opportunity to participate in this event. This is something past generations, and possibly future generations, can only dream about! This is a great time to be alive in Northwest America! See you at the races!

[image]http://www.midtownracing.com/Images/torndown.jpeg[/image]

Great read muddyice!

I have your affliction, and the cure is coming soon!

Last year, we rag-tagged a crew together and had a great time.

This year, we have pieced together 4 riders who have taken the race serious, and have all been racing, prepping and working together.

You are going Ironman, which is simply amazing. Last year, the winner of that class, Gary Rowe, did somewhere around 420 miles. He damn near did as many laps as our team, and we had six wore down puppies after it was all said and done!

Good luck in your race.

:cry:

The greatest part of off-road motorcycle racing, to me, is how it forces you to be in the moment, every moment. Racing creates a pure form of being. While you ride you are totally alive! You are maintaining unfaltering focus and vigilance at all times! There is no past and no future, only split second reactions to the supreme feeling of flying fast over the Earth!

Great statement!!!

Thanks guys. My primary goal is to beat my distance of 275 miles i did last year. I'll be sure to walk to your pits to meet you guys (again). Glad we can share the excitement of this awesome race! We should be seeing some info come in the mail from OTBG soon to tell us where to pit and so on? We'll figure out where pits are before hand so we can help each other out if needed and cheer each other on in the wee hours when it counts!

r