Sign in to follow this  

valve adjustment

So my bike is making some bad noises. It sounds to me that the valves are too loose. I had some friends listen to it and they concurred.

So my friend told me a cool way to adjust my valves:

You crank the engine with the valve hole caps off. When you see the exhaust valves go all the way down you adjust the intake. Then to you crank the engine till the intakes valves go all the way down and adjust the exhaust.

So I did this method and my valves were way loose, which would explain all the noise. But I also wanted to just see what they read when the bike was at top dead center. They read 4 and 3 when they are supposed to read 5 and 6 (because of a hotcam).

So which method do I trust? Because I don't want to start the bike with the valves .002 too tight. My buddy swears by this method and he even worked as a mechanic for a while.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

That's not right at all. When you spin the crank and see the intake valves go down, that is the intake stroke. The piston is at the bottom of the stroke at this point. You want the piston at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke. Once it is here you adjust both valve sets, not just one. Doing it the "other" way will give you a false reading. Good Luck.

just put the flywheel on the T(corrected)

( i will dble check manual , it's the second ,mark whichever that is I dont look anymore)

mark of the compression stroke, feel the rockers to make sure THEY ARE ALL LOOSE, which means the valves are closed.

Adjust accordingly, I have a Hotcam as well, i run one thou looser than recomended stock cam, 5 in 6 ex, they quiet down ALOT when they are adjusted properly.

This is the only procedure which i will use on my Xr, I've done this 100's of times on several bikes .

stu

:cry:

just put the flywheel on the F mark of the compression stroke,

98xr250, aren't you supposed to line it up to the T and not the F?

just put the flywheel on the F mark of the compression stroke,

98xr250, aren't you supposed to line it up to the T and not the F?

Yes you are.