Sign in to follow this  

xr400 smok,e when started

Hey guys,,had a look at an 2002 xr400 tonight that im thinking of buying,,, when the guy started it it smoked a bit for about 30 seconds,,not alot but the bike is showing 2400km on the clock and i didnt really expect too see any smoke yet. Any ideas??

Thanks Marty

This is not uncommon for the XR, The valve guide seals dry and crack from the heat. Being air cooled the XR head gets very hot , just doesn't boil over like liquid cooled. When the motor sits for awhile oil seeps past these seals into the combustion chamber and burns off on startup. I've seen XR's a month old start doing this, then repaired under warranty and do it again. I have seen very few XR's that DO NOT smoke on statup. If the bike is in good shape otherwise,and only smokes on startup, it should be ok. If it burns oil or smokes other than at startup there are other problems.

Dont worry about it Mate! XR's are Bullet Proof!! There wont be a thing wrong with it!

The only time you realy need to worry is when it makes a Knocking sound. If it sounds fine, It will be.