Sign in to follow this  

Buying a used XR400???

Hello! This is my first post. This site is really nice! I am seriously considering buying a used 96' XR400 with a Baja Designs kit from a guy who lives out of state. He is going to be able to drop it off to me on his way out west. He has sent me about 12 pics of it and it looks really nice. I am new to the dirt bike scene and wanted to know if anyone could give me some good specific questions to ask him about the bike and what to look for in a used bike. Thanks for any help!

Jon

Farnsrocket, welcome to TT.

The XR is probably one of the best bikes to buy used cause they're so durable and reliable. :cry:

How much $$$$ is he asking for the '97 XR? :cry:

Yes, welcome. You will find a wealth of information here and many interesting (Sometimes flamin') conversations.

Be careful. If you're like me, you'll be doing all the mod's mentioned here just to see what they do.

1 hr ridin', 1 hr moddin', 1 hr ridin', 1 hr moddin'... :cry:

(I bought mine new so don't have a specific answer to your question. I do know that the XR is about the most bullet-proof bike you can get, so it would have to be downright abused for it to be in bad shape. But that can happen! Running with no/low oil, not cleaning the air filter - (check the air filter and box that it's in. If really dirty it's probably a danger sign. Those are a couple.)

Wow!!! that sounds like a killer deal, snatch that baby up and hit the dusty trails, or with the Baja Designs Kit take the road to the trails. Oh yea, Welcome to TT. Slo

I would be asking to check the swingarm pivot bolt isn't siezed in. I have had 2 XR4's which had this problem. 1st one required 2 tonne press to remove, the other had to be cut out, NOT GOOD!

Also bent XR4's tend to flake paint off around and just behind the steering head, be sure to check this as the frame is also the oil tank and you don't want that area to be weak! :cry:

Apart from that make sure he has done regular oil changes and valve clearances and everything should be sweet.

XR4's are right up there with the most durable and usable dirt squirts around! :cry:

Lets see the pics! Good to have you here, and Corey is lying about the sheep, Flynall isnt as fast as he says, gadsan will buy anything related to motorcycles(having one of the item for sale wont stop him either) Youngun is faster that Smokin, but Smokin is a better mechanic, and Dwight is really good for tech info. :cry: :cry:

Jeez I guess if I were out west I could of sold my ol 1999 XR4 alot faster than I did living on the eastcoast, I practically had to give mine away,(don't seem to be a very popular bike out here) I ended up selling it to a Gent in Maryland for $1600, the bike was in great shape, just I needed something lighter, they are a great runner, could not complain on that for the 3 years I owned it, did do a topend rebuild on it, well I had a cycle shop do it, but the Bike always ran strong, think you can't go wrong in the purchase for that price.

Good luck

Bob

Thanks for all the responses! I will know for sure next week if I am getting it. He lives on the East coast and is heading West and can drop it off on his way through. I hope he is making the trip. Man, I really want this bad! Yesterday, I saw a 2002 xr400 on the floor of a dealer here in town and couldn't stop drooling. It's a great sized bike for my 6' frame. I will post pics if it all works out. Thanks! :cry:

<font color="navy">For a '96, I'd ask whether he'd done any carb mods on it (the stock carb had jetting issues, though not a huge deal). Also, ask about maintenane records, what work has been done, etc. Does it smoke at all during startup or while running? You might make the sale contingent on being able to start and verify it's not smoking (or being able to knock down the price a bit if it is). Depending on how much it's been ridden, and how hard, a '96 may well be due for a fresh top end. That's not a problem, just something to be aware of for negotiating purposes. Otherwise, I'd just check the overall condition of the bike (e.g., wear items like chain, sprocket, controls), make sure the air filter is clean (at least indicating he took the time to do it before selling!) and note the other items listed in previous posts... If it looks clean, go for it, change the oil & filter (just to be sure) and ride!

Ask why he's selling it and what kind of riding did he do on it. Such as a lot of flat landing jumps.

I bought a used 99 back this summer. Couple of things I missed, but were no big deal. The rear subframe is slighly tweaked, and the speedomoter was trashed. I knew the guy personally and knew the history of the bike so These things were not big issues for me.

I have heard that the xr's have had problems with the foot pegs cracking. But these bikes are really tough. I broke my back last year before switching to this bike. It had been 17 years since I had ridden, and to be honest with you the bike is a dream to ride. Its not too harsh, not too powerful, and big enough to haul my 6' 250# frame around no problem. Don't get me wrong here. The bike has plenty of power to scare the sh*t outta you, and plenty to get you from point a to b.

If you end up with this bike I don't think you'll be disappointed!

I scoured e-bay for a couple of months looking for mine. I finally saw one I felt comfortable bidding on Thanksgiving week last year, but the auction ended without making "minimum". I e-mailed the seller and ask if he would let me know if he decided to repost, and he e-mailed back that his minimum had been set at $3001.00. My top bid was $3000.00, and he called me Wed. before Thanksgiving and ask me if I wanted to come pick up the bike. It was located in Alexandria, La., so it was a 5 hr trip from my parents house in the Metroplex to pic it up. When I got down there it was Lower Powersports, and they had apparently taken it as a trade in on something else. I did have to pay tax on it (which they issued a check made out to my local tax collector for), but oh well. They were REAL nice folks though, and would'nt mind doing business with them again. The bike looked brand new, the header pipes hadn't even strated to change color yet. All in all, I am very pleased (and if the guy still has the thrashed '98 in N. Dallas that I looked at that wanted $2,600.00 for,and I imagine he does at that price, I hope he enjoys it). The guy was real hard sell, course he did offer me the trailer to go with it, which most folks would have charged $50 to haul off. The moral is, if you are patient (hard for me), you can find a great bike for a fair price.

MotorcyclesXR400001.jpg