Sign in to follow this  

XR 400 2001 FRONT SUSPENSION SAGGING

Need advice... I just bought a 2001 XR400 and the front suspension is sagging about 1-2 inches. It is low enough that I cant get the fork brace under the fender when I put it on the trailer. Could it be the springs? Oil? I am thinking aobut replacing the springs...I am about 200#. What type of springs should I replace with?

Put in a set of Race Tech springs and new oil...that's a sure winner (for the financially challenged like me, spent $120 total)

Or take off your fork legs and have them professionally 'set up' for about $350...depending on where you live, you should be able to find a suspension shop that will set them up for your weight and type of riding.

HTH,

I don't understand this. Are you talking about a bike shoe that you can't get under the fender when putting the bike on a trailer?

If you still have the stock rear spring and have adjusted it to have the correct race sag for your weight, then that would make you have no unladen sag at all on it. This would tend to put more of the bikes unladen weight on the front end, making its unladen sag increase. If you're going to replace the front springs you should probably replace the rear too, with the spring weight recommended for your weight. The stock spring is meant for about a 170 lb rider and you exceed that by 30 lbs.

It is low enough that I cant get the fork brace under the fender when I put it on the trailer.

Hey BAG, Save yourself some cash and drop the extra thirty pounds, Anna Nicole Smith did it. See you at Buffalo. :cry: