Sign in to follow this  

Basic Truck/Trailer Questions

I've got four bikes (mine, wife's and two sons'). I mostly take only my bike riding and join friends at the trails 30 mi's away, but occasionally take the whole family.

I currently borrow a truck from work when I go myself, but that's time-consuming and getting kind of old, so I was wondering about a trailer.

I was wondering whether to get a used truck or a basic trailer setup to avoid having to borrow the truck. If a trailer, what is the best trailer setup these days (not ready/willing to go enclosed at this point)? A lot of people around here use a basic snowmobile trailer, but those seem to have tie-down issues.

What are the arguments for a truck vs a trailer?

Money is of course an issue, but so garage space may be more of an issue.

Get a basic trailer, snow machine, or just a flat bed.. If you do not have the ability , then take it to a local welding shop and have them add tie downs for you. Put your bikes up on the trailer, lay out 4 tiedowns per bike.. Nothing like having the tiedown points in perfect position for your bikes,, makes loading so much faster. If you feel like spending a bit more, get some bike shoes. I use two for the big bikes and a normal chock for my sons.. Loading the trailer is now a 5 minute event, start to finish.