Sign in to follow this  

The right dual sport for the wife

My wife is wanting to get into dual sport riding. I've looked at both the Yamaha XT 225 and the Suzuki DR 200. They both seems like good beginner bikes. I am leaning towards the DR because I ride a DR650, but I would like to hear comments from people who have ridden one or the other.

What is your wifes riding ability? Has she ever ridden? How tall/short? My wife's first bike was a 02 xr400. She handles it well. She is tall though(6'). I would say, get the largest cc bike that she can sit on and touch the ground, as well as pick up if it falls.

My fiance has the XT225, and she likes it a lot. I've ridden it too, and I think it's a fun bike, very light feeling but with a little bit of pep. I know a guy who uses an XT225 as a street legal trials-ish bike, and he's happy too. I'd say it's a good choice.

If you can get one a dual sported XR250.

VERY good wife bike.

Or if she already knows how to ride a DRZ400.

Because the other 250s (suzuki and yamaha) weight as much as the DRZ400 so you might as well get the exrta power with the weight.

I haven't done to many dual sport rides butt I think even a 250 may be to small , much less a 225/200????

Are you meaning casual dual sporting or organized events?

The xt225 is a good choice. I think the super sherpa is the perfect beginner/wife bike. Front and rear disk brakes, electric start, air cooled, simple and reliable (and cheap). The seat height is a little lower than the klr 250 too. You can find them with <2000 miles for about $2000. The dr200 is not in the same league as the xt or the sherpa. It's got drum brakes and is way under powered.

We will be riding mostly fire roads it the San Bernardino Mtns. She never ridden on two wheels, but she been riding about three years on a Quad (Honda 250EX). She doesn't ride hard, she likes to just putt around on it. Any bike over 250cc would be to much bike for her. She also wants electric start. That why I was looking at the Suzuki and Yamaha.

If you can find a CRF230 that has be dual sported, that's a great bike too

My wife loves hers :cry:

A lot has to do with how tall and how much she weighs. It is a bit of a hassle, but the CRF250-X is a good choice. It has E-Start, weighs 233 lbs dry and has pretty good controllable power band. My girl friend just got one (2005) and had it plated in Arizona. She brought it at LA Cycle for $5,300.00 out the door without tax. She took the bike to AZ to plate it and paid the tax in AZ. You will need a friend in AZ to use their address and make sure you bring the bill of lading and the MSRP for the bike with you. You can register it in any county except for Maricopa (they require a smog test) It she is tall enough, it would be a great bike for her

Mike

There is nothing wrong with the DR200SE. My wife has one and she loves it. She is only around 5'2" and can get the balls of her feet on the ground. She rode alot when she was younger, but hadn't been on a bike in 25 years when I got it for her. It can be lowered in the clamps and the preload dropped at the rear. You can dramatically increase the power with a $5 velocity stack for the air box lid and bump up the pilot and main one jet size and add an extended fuel screw. Jessie an Kientech has everything for around maybe $20 shipped. 30 minute job that anyone can do. If she plans on riding it on the street then the 250#s it weighs is a real plus. I would not let my wife ride anything less than that weight on the road. We ride out to a couple of spots and she comfortably cruises at 55-65 and the highway. Even then a truck can give you a bit of a nudge. Anything that weighs in under that shouldn't be ridden at highway speed. She gets around fine on all the trails we ride and maintenance is drop dead simple. I have offered to get a pipe but she is happy with the power at this point. She even does some things that scrare the crap out of me on it and has dropped it a couple of times and it is fine. A motocross bike it isn't, but for around town, the occasional 120 mile highway round trip, trails, river crossings etc it does great. Just my .02c.

The dr200 is not in the same league as the xt or the sherpa. It's got drum brakes and is way under powered.

WHAT :cry: The DR200 has a disk front/drum rear JUST like the others you mentioned :cry:. Anyways I put 7000kms on mine before I bought my DRZ. I still miss it when I'm in the tight sections. As bassman said it really opens up with rejetting, and doing the airbox. I also added an FMF pipe to it. Easy to ride, reliable as all hell, will go absolutley anywhere (with DOT knobbies) :cry:, and it's hard to stall the engine in the tight stuff. It also makes an excellent commuter on the street. It was one of the most enjoyable bikes I have ever owned, and it finally made me a Suzuki fan :cry:

I just looked at a slightly used DR200 and it did have drum brakes in the back. I don't think think there any new smaller factory dual sports with a rear disc available in North America.

The dr200 is not in the same league as the xt or the sherpa. It's got drum brakes and is way under powered.

WHAT :cry: The DR200 has a disk front/drum rear JUST like the others you mentioned :cry:. Anyways I put 7000kms on mine before I bought my DRZ. I still miss it when I'm in the tight sections. As bassman said it really opens up with rejetting, and doing the airbox. I also added an FMF pipe to it. Easy to ride, reliable as all hell, will go absolutley anywhere (with DOT knobbies) :cry:, and it's hard to stall the engine in the tight stuff. It also makes an excellent commuter on the street. It was one of the most enjoyable bikes I have ever owned, and it finally made me a Suzuki fan :cry:

My wife and I went looking at bikes yesterday. She really like the DR200SE. She taking a drit bike course in a couple of weeks and if she likes it we buy the Suzuki. I want to thank everybody for all the info :cry:

Super Sherpa would be a great choice, but I din't think we can buy them here in Kalifornia :cry:

My wife and I went looking at bikes yesterday. She really like the DR200SE. She taking a drit bike course in a couple of weeks and if she likes it we buy the Suzuki. I want to thank everybody for all the info :cry:

Mill271,

my wife's been riding for 22 yrs now, and last year she decided it was time to get rid of the old XT.

We looked real hard at all the available small bore options, and she finally settled on the KLR250. Trust me, WAY better scoot than the DR200. Small seat ht, enough power and suspension for beginners and rock solid. Here's a site dedicated to the little KLR.

http://home.earthlink.net/~klr250informationexchange/

Same bike the USMC uses for recon activities...

Rode with some folks who bought the DR200, their still kickin themselves..

Take a real good look around at all your options ...

We looked at the KLR250 and it would have been perfect, except for the kick starter. The wife wants electric start.