Sign in to follow this  

Quietest 4 stroke exhaust

I will be riding in a hunting area where noise is a big issue. I have an YZ400 with a White Brothers e-series. All I know is that it is too load. I am not really concerned about any power loss as this is temporary. What is the quietest exhaust? Is there anything more quiet than stock? Will I be able to get as quiet and a standard hunting quad?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ben

Stock or small car muffler.

Find an old stock exhaust from *anything* and graft it on.

Cheapest would probably be the grafting, as you can grab something stock that just happens to be available.

Dave

Does anyone know the sound level for a YZ400 stock exhaust? I read that White Brothers E series quiet core insert brings it down to 92db.

Dave do you know about what the level would be for a car muffler?

I know that they are "old school", but the Supertrapp E.A.R. pipe I had was as quiet as stock if you cut down on the number of plates. Then when noise was not an issue, you could put them back in. Even with six, it was only a little bit louder than stock and much lighter. I don't know how their quiet core ISDE pipe compares, but being able to change the plates to suit the ride is a big plus to me.

I know that they are "old school", but the Supertrapp E.A.R. pipe I had was as quiet as stock if you cut down on the number of plates. Then when noise was not an issue, you could put them back in. Even with six, it was only a little bit louder than stock and much lighter. I don't know how their quiet core ISDE pipe compares, but being able to change the plates to suit the ride is a big plus to me.

With power not being an issue, the SuperTrapp was great at tuning for noise.

There are things that can be made to lower the noise level to your needs or liking.

I just put a supertrap isdn2 on my xr250l I got it down to 4 plates and the sound is good but still loud for riding in not so friendly areas. Is there such a thing as running two few plates that would be a problem for the motor ie dont run less than two plates or there is way to much back pressure?

Thanks,

Mark

Does anyone know the sound level for a YZ400 stock exhaust? I read that White Brothers E series quiet core insert brings it down to 92db.

Dave do you know about what the level would be for a car muffler?

My yz400 test @ 99db with the e-seeries pipe and the Quiet insert and a new repack

Them claiming 92db is a joke, maybe 92db at idle but not at the 3750 rpm test level

The Baja designs insert brought it down alot, but it fell off

I went back to the WR pipe with a Pro moto billet insert

it tested @ 92db, I lost very little on the bottom end, but for me it's no biggie, I got used to it fast.

For racing this would be a problem, for dual sport no biggie

I've heard the FMF "Q" works very well, Both Power and Noise wise

look here for a lot of test data

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/yamaha.pdf

Good luck