Sign in to follow this  

Bend OR.

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this but here it goes. My wife and I are considering a move to Bend OR. Nevermind where we are from :cry:. What is the riding like up there? Can you ride year round or do I need to buy a snowmobile for the winter? It looks like a great place to live, small community, plenty of outdoor activities, and the climate looks good. I live where we have four seasons and that is very important to me. Does the town of Bend receive alot of snow in the winter? I realize that obviously Mt. Bachelor does, but what about the town? Any input would be great!

:cry:

It's terrible. It snows like 20' a year, is always cloudy, and there is no riding.

Just kidding. You'd love it there. I'd move there myself if I could. On the edge of the desert, not far from the Cascade range. More desert sand riding then tight single track like the cascade range. (ie, TSF)

The sun shines most of the time, including during the winter. It'll be cold, but not cloudy and raining.

There might be a couple inches of snow on the ground off and on through the winter, but not much. They don't get much moisture.

- Ryan

Wow, I'm nearly sold from that discription! I spent a short time(9 months) in Seattle and it just plain rained too damned much. Sounds like the climate is similar to where I live now. I do however prefer trails to sand but I'm sure I could have plenty of fun with a paddle. I'll let you know if we make the move, maybe we could hookup for some rides.

Yeah, a Chico with snow. :cry:

But about the same high desert look.

(If I remember Chico right, I've been there only twice)

Yeah, I'd be glad to hop over the Mt. and go for a Central Oregon ride if you do come up.

- Ryan

My parents used to live in Bend. Cold in the winter but a nice place. I used to mountain bike around Bachelor and the trails there were very good. Not sandy at all (lots of volcanic areas also). I was out of motocycling back then but I'm sure there are lots of riding places. I know in the winter there were all kinds of snowmobiles around the Bachelor area. It was one of my favorite places to snowboard. Nice soft powder and sunny days after a nights snow.

If you don't mind cold and snowy and then hot in the summer, you'll probably like the area. Lots of white water rafting also. You can even do a raft trip in town or head out North and there's at least one class five we did.

What are some of the things you like about oregon(taxes, laws, quirks) and dislike(same)

Bend definitely experiences the four seasons. Right now we're finally getting out of summer and experiencing some fall weather - cool morning, pleasant afternoons. And yes, the snow will be here in a couple of months. The great thing about the snow around here is that for the most part is stays in the mountains. What we do get in town usually doesn't last for more than a few days before it's gone. Plus, generally the desert areas out east get less snow and those trails stay open most of the year.

Another plus is that there are all types of areas to ride within a hour and a half drive. From sand dunes, desert trails, lava fields, and tight mountain forest trails, you can find it all. Plus, if you're into motocross, there's a track in Madras that's less than a hour away. You definitely shouldn't be limited in your riding if you move up here.

One suggestion, if you do move here, get your Cali plates changed ASAP unless you enjoy getting the one finger salute. :cry:

My folks own a house in Sunriver, Or which is about 20 minutes south of Bend. I've been going there a few weeks every year since 1986. I just rode my dirt bike down there this summer for the first time at Rosland and Santiam Pass. I really dig it. Rosland is so much fun if you're into jumping. I've always had a dream of retiring or something down there. I wish I had time to go back before the snow comes.

Winters there are pretty cold and dry, but it does tend to snow in most of the ORV areas (Edison, Santiam, and Rosland) that I know of. Snowmobiling is unreal if you're into that. I usually do a trip once a year up the Paulina Peak area. Mt. Bachelor is an epic mountain for snowboarding if you're into fast pow runs. Not much on the difficulty scale, but the snow quality is super good, and there's a lot of great natural terrain to play on. Bend itself usually gets some snow in Dec-Feb, but it doesn't stay around that long, and it's usually only a few inches on the ground.

Oregon Perks: No Sales Tax (if you're not a resident then no State Income Tax), Tons of great recreational areas, people are really friendly and like minded to myself. Personally, they have the best skateparks in the world (yep I'm a skateboarder) and the best nudi bars (and a pervert :cry:).

Dislikes: Doesn't seem to be a lot of decent paying jobs and nightlife is pretty non existent unless you live in Portland. State sales tax would be a [@#$%&*!] if you claim residency.

One suggestion, if you do move here, get your Cali plates changed ASAP unless you enjoy getting the one finger salute. :cry:

You know it is funny that you say this but down here in california, we don't go out of our way to give you oregonians the finger, you think you guys could show a little respect back. I see alot of oregon plates and sometimes wonder if they make you guys take driving tests up there but don't hold it against you. Can't we all just get along.

I realize that it's often hard to convey true meanings of your words via the internet, but generally speaking the winking eye guy, :cry:, means that one is kidding and not being serious. My statement about giving Californians the finger was just that, a joke made against the common perception that they are taking over the state.

And while I do believe that Cali transplants are responsible for much of the population explosion in Bend, I don't hold anything against them as a whole. Of course, if you drive like an a-hole, I won't hesitate with the one finger salute, regardless of where you're from. :cry: :cry:

That sounds great to me. I have family that has lived in Oregon for ever, so I know all about the one finger welcome. I would definetly have my plates sent to me before the move! Sounds like an incredible place. I would need to find a job up there and haven't seen alot of high paying opportunities. I am currently a manager, and managing up on Mt. Bachelor in some regard might be a pretty cool option. My buddy will be moved in up there in about two weeks, so I plan on coming up and staying with him for awhile and checking it out. Thanks for the info and keep it coming if you have more.

Not too many cool bars?! I would think a town like that with Mt Bachelor, tourism, would have a pretty decent night life. I am a little past the point in my life where I go to the bars every weekend but I don't want to live where everything closes down at 9:00 at night either. What are some of the main industries up there, besides tourism? My wife is a Banker with Wells Fargo so she could just transfer up there, I just need to figure out what I want to do.

Well, it looks like you have a pretty good idea of the industry up here. It really does rely heavily on tourism, from the skiing in the winter to golfing, rafting, hiking, fishing, etc. during the summer. There are quite a few resorts in the area besides Sunriver (Black Butte, Inn of 7th Mtn, Eagle Crest, Pronghorn) so there might be opportunities there. Other than that, it is heavily service based with industries like health care banking etc. The other one that is huge is construction and real estate. There are lots of people making big $$ selling overpriced homes to Californians! :cry: There is very little manufacturing and the once dominant lumber industry is a thing of the past. So, good luck and feel free to holler if you have any other questions.

As far as the nightlife goes, it certainly doesn't compare to Portland but there's plenty to keep you occupied. Mostly smaller bars with different personalities and one bigger 'club' if you want to go get your grove on. :cry:

i live in Bend now. i don't ride but may want to get started. are there any tracks? or just trails. beginner places? i'm in my mid 30s.

State sales tax would be a [@#$%&*!] if you claim residency.

I think he means the 9% State Income Tax. It's based on a sliding scale, if you're interested, you can probably pull it up on-line. California has at least that much for an income tax.

Bend has a strip bar. I golfed with a group who went sniffing around and came back to the house glazed and pickled, minus all their one dollar bills.

State sales tax would be a [@#$%&*!] if you claim residency.

I think he means the 9% State Income Tax. It's based on a sliding scale, if you're interested, you can probably pull it up on-line. California has at least that much for an income tax.

Bend has a strip bar. I golfed with a group who went sniffing around and came back to the house glazed and pickled, minus all their one dollar bills.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :lol:

Man, up here in Portland, there is a strip bar on every corner!! I guess there's not much to do when the weather sucks 7 mos outta the year! Unemployment is high in Oregon, but at least the girls can find work :lol:

And as far as tax goes...the money saved from not having any sales tax on your daily purchases will more than make up for any discrepancies in state income tax from CA.All of those 7 3/4% tax payments add up,you just don't realize it.