Sign in to follow this  

drz 400e to s spec

just bought a 2001 400e which was running fine, came across a 2003 400s complete loom with switches, taillight, headlight and speedo, transfered parts over to my bike, done the usual looped sidestand switch and clutch, tried firing her up everything working but no spark, could the neutral switch be the problem? (obviously not fitted to my bike)what does the pink and blue wire do, the black/white is earth. also what is the piston control solenoid? unsure what to do to this plug, please help pulling my hair out.

P.S great forum are the cdi compatible?

you have to clip or remove the green wire from the 6 pin plug at the cdi box.that will allow your E cdi to work with a S harness. :cry:

Welcome aboard the TT Welsh, nice to see another welshman here not so many brits here. where in Wales are you ? :cry:

Burned has provided the answer. Here is more detail. The 6 wire plug from your "E" harness has a black with yellow trace that goes to the kill button. The "S" harness has a green wire in place of the black/yellow. The green wire must be grounded for the "S" CDI box to make sparks. However, if you ground that wire on an "E" CDI it kills the spark. So, cut the green wire and it will spark. If you want to use the kill button, splice the black/yellow kill button wire to the green going to the CDI. The right switch pod has an on/off switch that disconnects power to the CDI so you do not really need a redundant kill button, but it is there if you want it.

thanks a lot, the green wire did the trick, thought i had blown the cdi! used to ride 2 stroke crossers, my first 4 stroke and im not going back, awesome bike, by the way for all you fellow welshys im in port talbot (recently voted worst town in europe, but best mountains for rallying and dirt bike ! :cry:

I was working in port talbot today as it happens, the red lion to be exact.

I'm near Merthyr Tydfil.