Sign in to follow this  

how long does it take for a dirt tire to dry rot?

how long can i tire sit around before it no longer has good traction. i ask becuase i have a a nearly new dunlop motocross tire that i would like to use for the first couple of trips to the desert but it has been sitting around since last may.

should i still use it?

i agree, look at the date on some tires at auto stores, they've been sitting there for a couple yrs. go do some riding before the snow comes (well, u probly don't have snow in the dessert) :cry:

i agree, look at the date on some tires at auto stores, they've been sitting there for a couple yrs. go do some riding before the snow comes (well, u probly don't have snow in the dessert) :cry:

snow? what is snow? hahaha

well that settles it. i'm gonna thrash on it a bit. :cry:

I wish I could keep a tire on long enough to find out how long it takes to dry-rot it. However it seems like the life span of tires is getting shorter as grip is getting better, so we may never know! :cry:

I know some tires can go a long time. I only ride one or two weekends a year now (and I ride hard), but I still ride on my 86 XR 600R's original rear tire. I had to replace my front a few years ago as the knobbies were breaking off.