Sign in to follow this  

aftermarket suspension

I jump my XR a lot and the rear shock seems to soak everything up just fine, and its not even on the stiffest setting. the front forks, however bottom out very harshly. I don't want to get my rear shock worked on, as it works just fine. could I get aftermarket fork springs and a revalve on the front suspension while leaving the rear suspension stock, or would it feel wierd when landing???

I have progressive suspension on mine with 10w fork oil in them. I have about 4 clicks out and only once i have bottomed out the suspension and that was on a six-foot log jump.

----------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

How much would it be to get the front end done? New valves, springs, oil, and labor? Also if I put lighter springs in for a 155 pound rider would that make the front softer when jumping or does springs even matter there. Also what sould I do so it would be awsome on the trails and still be able to jump without botteming?

Dirtrider, you just described the problem with the xr400 suspension. Too soft in front, too hard in the back. I took my bike in and had front and rear resprung, revalved and dialed in for my weight and riding style. Best mod I have done to date. Mostly because it gave me more confidence and comfort in the saddle. The bike didnt wash out as much either.

I have .40 (.41 maybe, I dont remember) up front, and could probably go one more up (but wont). I have Racetech goldvalves front and rear, and a lighter rear spring. The bike works AWSOME on trails, but still bottoms. Trail landings tend to be very harsh, and definetly at the wrong angles. Heck, I can MX and land from ten feet up and not bottom, but three feet off a waterhill and clunk she goes.

I just took it in and had Barnums do it soup to nuts. I didnt have time to do all the work myself, it made sense for me to pay to have it done.