Sign in to follow this  

Low dirt bike prices

Scanning through a cycle trader magazine i saw a couple of pages of bikes that were under $2000. These wern't in that bad of shape either. To name a few; 2000 kx 125 a couple of mods- $1750 and $1650, 1998 kx250 new motor and suspension- $1900, and a 1997 kx 125 for $1900. Are these low prices just the regular fall prices or is it due to the two- strokes dieing off?

---------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

as much as i hate to say it, they kinda are. i think everyone should go buy a 2 stroke now!!!! i just looked on cycle trader and i found a few 2 smoke 125's for 2000 but nothing too cheap. bargainnews works a looooot better. 2000 cr 125 for 1650 :cry:

well, 2 stroke 125's are kinda dying. they're kinda stupid for the offroad stuff i like to do, especially when you can get a 200 that weighs about the same, and the rules in mx are making them less competitive.

the problem is that all the excitement is about new thumpers, and ktm is upping the ante on all their bikes every year, so everyone wants a new bike every year or two, and there are just too many people trying to sell used bikes.

mw

Locally I saw a 93 KX125 for $700 with many mods on it. I decided not to buy it though as people said they were prone to blowing up if you didn't run race fuel in it but no where within 30 min that I know of sells race gas around here. I really want a 2-Stroke to ride around and play on but I would like a 250 or preferably a 500 but I doubt I will buy one.

Two strokes are not dying off..if they were..yamaha would know it well before us and would not have invested all of that cash into a brand new frame for the YZ two strokes...unless they have a provision to easily modify it to hold oil for the thumper engines...

2-strokes dieing?

Yamaha: YZ125 250 get new frame, 125 all new motor.

Kawasaki: KX250 is best KX ever. New forks that KXF do not have, new frame, unitrak, higher pegs, basically its a totally new bike.

Suzuki: The 2004 RM250 was the best 250 2-stroke, the 05 is better, but so is everyone else.

Honda: They finally gave the CR250 what it was missing, bottom end.

KTM: The new frame and suspension on the KTM's make all the models better, but the 2-strokes can use it to get there incredible power to the ground finally!

Except for Honda, I think every manufacter spent more money on there 2-stroke bikes than the 4-strokes. Thumpers are dong good in MX cause the the crazy AMA rule that allows 450's to race in the 250 class. Just go watch a CC race and you see many more 2-strokes than thumpers.

If a 2-stroke falls on you, its easier to lift (lighter) and it does not burn you as quickly or badly as a thumper.

Personally I like to have one of each. Best of both worlds, but for CC racing I prefer the smoker, just that I wore out my KX, and can't decide which smoker I'm going to replace it with?

Cheers,