Sign in to follow this  

going big the first time you see a track

I just started racing this year and I've been having trouble building confidence in doubles. I think the problem is the wall of dirt you look at on the other side of the jump, and just doing it the first time. What is the best way to know how much speed to hit a jump with? It would be easy if I could follow someone down the straight and over the jump to judge my speed the first time, but when you are in the back by yourself most of the time, I don't have that luxury yet. Any tips would be great, Thanks.

Time.

Doubles used to be tricky. Now, I can usually know what I need to hit it at, but I still rarely do it right away. I like to "work up to it" and jump into it (if possible) and after 3 or 4 jump-ins, do it. This gets you an idea of the speed.

After doing that enough, I learned enough jumps to know how to hit the ones I never had hit before.

Experience is your biggest friend in jumping.

You can either take your time and learn to jump it, by judging your speed, and giving it a shot or walk up to someone that is jumping it in your class, and just ask em, what gear are they hitting that jump in to clear it.. You'd be surprised the help you'll get from them. :cry:

I've followed people over jumps so I know what speed to hit it at and kind of follow what they do. Like this last weekend, john a buddy i've met at the track and we just kind hang out while we're both there. He kept hounding me on when I was gonna take that big double, finally I told him I'll jump it but I'm gonna follow him over it and that was that.

Next week im going to do the same on the 65foot triple :cry:

Experience is your biggest friend in jumping.

I can add nothing to that other than to say try to compare the subject double to a similar table then mentally do the math i.e. "that table is about 30' with similar ramps, etc. so in theory this double is the same - except less dirt in the middle."

The jumpin that deathwsh is suggesting is the best method. If you want just sort of case the bottom of the landing a little. Unless of course the jump landing is like 12ft tall. Then you just have to go for it. After awhile of using this technique you'll start to like hitting doubles more than tabletops because you can work up to bigger doubles easier than big tabletops. I'd honestly rather case a double a little bit than bounce off the end of a big tabletop.

I try to watch others. If you're at a race, watch other practices before yours. If just out riding, stake out the jump and watch others do it. Following someone never works for me. I always it the jump too slow when I follow others. It just makes me nervous to try something for the first time when behind someone else. It works for others, so maybe it will work for you, but also be aware if you're like me you'll have a tendancy to shut off early when you go off a big jump behind someone else. Once I've got a jump dialed, I can go off it with or behind others. Just not the first few times. Which is difficult at new tracks in crowded practices before a race. In which case adrenaline frequently takes over and a screw comes loose in my brain so I just start jumping stuff. Hopefully after watching previous practices!

my advice would not be to follow faster riders over big jumps. because you ahve riders like me who go faster and stay lower over the jumps...therefore if you went the same speed you would over jump it resulting in a probibal crash.

Most of you will call me stupid, dont be mad, this is just how i do it. I use to ask people how fast they go, follow people, etc. Now i just walk the track once, guess what gear/speed i need to hit it at and go for it all out on my second lap. If i dont I end up not doing it and going home calling myself a p___y all day. One thing I have to concentrate on is not letting up on the gas on the face. I'd rather land a little farther than case it. That's just me, I'm new to the MX scene so take it w/a grain of salt.

I dunno what i do but every track i go to i try to jump everything the 2nd lap..work your way up from small doubles to medium then to big..just think of it this way i know a lot of people who jump big table tops but wont do a double, its the same exact thing but no dirt in the middle..i jumped a 140Ft triple and i really dont think there is a way to judge jumps over 100ft..i just hit it 4th pinned on a 250 and made it luckily..