Sign in to follow this  

new bike shootouts...

I have seen about 4 major dirt riding magazines doing new bike tests. I was wondering if anyone used those tests to help pick a new bike. I've read everyone I could read last year before I bought my bike, and aside from the hidden long run test issues, they were pretty close. However I notice that MXA seems to lean on the blue bikes a little more than everyone else. I think the best is TWMX. They are pretty fair and don't have ONE former pro test them. They use an A,B, and C class rider to come up with an opinion.

if you read shootouts in mags, always think that money can change a lot! best is -> test the bikes yourself and only read the shootouts for fun, not for getting buying help...

They are pretty fair and don't have ONE former pro test them.

Wrong. Rich Taylor is their main tester and he has raced pro since the late 80's, even having a national number as low as 30. He also still races the occasional Supercross and National.

I just saw that TWMX has Sean Hamblin doing some testing for them too now. I just checked their web site and he did the 250f shootout this year. I guess I was wrong about that.

Your friends are the best testers. Plus, you can usually ride their bike to see if you like it. The only problem is that you have to have friends who like different colors. :cry:

If I were to buy a new 250F I'd probably get the one with the most torque first. Then I'd look at suspension and ergo's. Here is the Bay Area there is a place called MMR (Montery Motorcycle Rentals off the clubmoto.com web site) were you can rent bikes for the day. I'd probably rent the one I wanted to buy and if I still liked it buy it.

I think HP is too overrated by 90% of the people buying bikes today. Consider the bike as a whole, and include dealer support, parts, etc. into you descision.

I think if I bought a 250F, it would be the RM-Z, but I'd rather have a RM250 2-stroke if I bought a yellow bike myself.

Cheers,

I think HP is too overrated by 90% of the people buying bikes today. Consider the bike as a whole, and include dealer support, parts, etc. into you descision.

Bingo! WHERE you prefer that power in the powerband and how it is delivered is the key, as far as hp goes. (along w/all the above) I also strongly agree about using your friends as testers. Even if they don't ride the same as you, you usually know what they prefer, how they ride, and can "judge" their opinions best.

HP is not what makes you move though, it's just a number that really states how well the enigne uses fuel to make power. More like it's effeciency rating. I looked at the torque and weight when I bought my bike. I saw it was about 3-4 pounds lighter, which makes a huge difference in handeling. Plus I think Kawasaki and Suzuki have their center of gravity lower then Honda and Yamaha. It's interesting to see that htese magazines spend tons of money wasting their paper about "played up" bike tests. :cry:

I agree with the fact that magazine tests r not that reliable... test the bike u want to buy by yourself, and take a decision. Magazines r good to watch nice pics and have a general idea of the bike. I read italian magazines, MXA and some other stuff and often they even describe different impressions and r in disagreement... Take the bike YOU like more, not THE MAG likes more... bye

horsepower is actually a figure derived from torque and rpms. However, it doesn't tell you where in the powerband it is. A good example is a 2 stroke. a yz250 (i picked a yammy, pick any brand u like) may be putting out more hp then my rmz 250, but guess what, his power is almost all on the top you'll smoke him as soon as it gets tight.

Dirt, if you think a 250f is going to smoke a yz 250 (with riders being equal) then you're high. Two stroke 250's do not only make power in the upper rpm's.

As far as magazine shootouts, just try to ride as many of them as you can. Pick the one that fits you're size and riding style best. Look for a dealer that will support you when and if the need arises also.

faster, u should take some reading classes, i said when it gets tight, which means he'll need lots of low end. Unless he plans on riding first gear pinned. I know that as soon as he gets to fourth gear i'll be looking at his fender.

All right Mr. Ihaveananswerforeverything. You only continue to show your complete lack of knowledge. You obviously have not spent much time on any 2-stroke 250 if you really think that your rmz would hang with a 250 2 stroke on a tight course, or any course. I spent some time on an 05 YZ250 last weekend and the thing had gobs of power from bottom to top, and so did every 250 stroke that I've had.

Bottom line Mr. Knowitall is they do have "lots of low end".

Anywho, this was not the point of this thread, and I'm done hijacking it.

Are you just a natural fool or what dirtmachine... he said, "All right Mr. I-have-an-answer-for-everything"... now u tell me if you even passed the 1st grade reading level...c'mon now, y dont you grow up and actually post some good things here and not be a lil p-r-i-c-k...did you read that or should i spell it all out for you. you are really getting on everybody's bad side.give it up already. :cry: :cry:

He's definitly got the young and stupid thing going for him.