Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X for the wife

Wife needs a new bike, I'm torn between the CRF250X and the WR250F

we will be shopping next spring if all goes well

can the 250X be lowered easily? ie lower forks & lower precomp? it's a little shorter than the WR250F stock, which is good.

Does honda have a planned fix for the valve issues? This is a real concern, we ride every weekend and I dont like changing oil every weekend, on my WR400 I do it every 3 rides or so.

If yamaha cut some weight & hight off the WR250F and put a trick alloy frame on, I wouldnt even look at the CRF, however the CRF has that honda feel, if it werent for that darn valve problem.

has anyone heard anything on a possible design change?

I had her sit on both today at the dealer, a CRF250R and a WR250F, she can tiptoe the CRF, and not even close on the WR

reading the various posts on the valve problems, I think only a small % of owners are having valve problems.

:cry:

I had no problems on my CRF450 or on my 250X.

From reading this forum it seemed like it was a high percentage, and I've heard about it all over, and companies are already adapting with fixit kits

There is quite a bit of hostility here though, ie either your valves went, or they didnt, and the ones with reliable valves are very very agressivly defending the design.

i wouldn't say i am aggressively defending the design. ie there is a problem. however, my valves have been fine. good luck.

My mom rides a ttr 125LE and falls alot on it. my dad doesnt think its cuz the bike but i think she needs more suspension. she only really rides trails but is a TRUE beginner and hardly stands and well is a beginner because she has only been riding for about 3 or 4 months. Can she stick with the bike, get a bigger bike? or put new fork springs and a new back shok and sping what should we do?

I would recomend keep riding it till she gets good. Practice standing up, cornering, hill climbs, ect. At that point move onto a bike that will suit her riding needs.

can the 250X be lowered easily? ie lower forks & lower precomp? it's a little shorter than the WR250F stock, which is good.

I am 5ft 3in and moved from a TTR125 to a CRF250X. We purchased a Koubalink that lowered the rear about 1.5 inches. I also bought taller bar mounts that allowed me to slide the front forks up as far as we could go. It cost about $200.00 to do this but it is reversible for when my Husband wants to take it to the mountains.

I can tippy-toe now but it's not too bad.

I love this bike. I am glad I started out on the TTR though since it was smaller and when I fell, it was easier to pick up. I wish the X wasn't so heavy. Haven't had any valve problems, (yes they have been checked), but I don't ride the bike hard.

Good luck,

SusanE

I'm hoping honda takes luck out of the equation for next year

it'll be a while before we have enough saved, just bought a DS XR400 last saturday

rode with some folks with crf250x's and they did great, seems short enough for my wife too, she's on a TTR125L right now, but she's all cramped up on it, and at it's limits for weight/suspension

From reading this forum it seemed like it was a high percentage,

I thought some-one did a poll a while ago, and it was only like 10% had valve problems?? :cry:

Only 10 % that's freakin nuts, I did not know it was that high

seriously that's pretty horrible

if they were street bikes they would have fixed it due to warentee claims, and lawsuits

little protection for dirtbike purchases though

I've got 70+ hours on my X, no valve problems, no oil usage problems and I ride the crap out of it. I also change the oil, both sides, every 7 hours. Cheap insurance, and I've done it this way since 1977, way before the X. My store has only sold 20 Xs, but ZERO have been in for valve issues, 6 of the 20 are racers. I just got 10 2005 models in, and fully expect these to be as good.

The X is a fantastic choice for your wife, you both wouldn't be disappointed.

I do not know the actual percentage of REAL valve problems, and no one else does either, please take most of this bad news info with a grain of salt. You can even take my info with a grain if you want.

So back to the original question -

Without saying the X is a girls bike IMHO it would be a perfect bike for the wife. It will always get you out of trouble and never get you into it. Can be lowered easily, check out www.rickramsay.net he's done it. Can be ridden all day without getting tired.

Can't comment on the WR, haven't ridden one. :cry:

Unless your wife is pretty tall and/or an experienced rider, she'd probably be better off on something like a CRF230F. Just a thought.

She's almost as tall as I am, she can ride my CR125

the suspension on the 230 is not that much better than the TTR, although I like the 230 I dont think it's a wise upgrade, as the 250X is not that much taller, and will outperform the 230 in every way

Seat height between the 230 and 250X is a big difference. I have both. Also there are some bonuses to having a 230.

1. requires way less maitnance

2. bulletproof, mnie has been through supermoto, hare scrambles, MX and and flat tracking, each with some whicked falls. aside from the occasinal lever break and cracked fender and bent bars the thing has needed nothing.

The point I am trying to make is that they are both great bikes, each in their own aspect. If your wife is a up and coming rider that is advancing fast and wanting more performance then get the X, great bike, just keep in mind that it will require more maitnance and your also gonna have to go out and spend some additional money on protective gear. I love my X and wouldnt trade it for the world. However if she is jsut riding trails and is at a stage where shes not really gonna advance much farther then stick with the TTR or a 230. They can be tricked out pretty sick by BBR either way......

Yeah it's like 4" difference in seat height between a 230F and 250X. And the maintanance, etc.

Another couple possibilites would be the new TTR230, (replaces the TTR225) or for something in between, the TTR250. It's a little taller, but has discs front & rear, adjustable suspension and of course the magic button. It's also $1700 cheaper than a 250X, and would be bulletproof and low-maintanence.

But if she's tall/good enough for the 250X, and your willing to armor it up and maintain it, you sure can't go wrong. :cry:

What for armor does it need?

I'm used to high maint, I do lots of oil changes on the WR400

I had her sit on the CRF250R and she can tiptoe both feet, she loves to jump, I would weight her choice as follows.

1: suspension

2: handling

3: looks

4: power

the CRF250X wins on the first three in our opinion, the WR250F on the 4th

I never considered the aircooled trailbikes an option, low tech forks, lack of power, at this point the only 2 bikes we like are the WR250F and the CRF250X, maybe a husky/ktm too, I need to find a dealer, easy to dualsport an orange thumper.

we will lower whichever bike we end up with, to ease riding

I do NOT want to buy another bike, she went from a blaster to a TTR125 in 6 months, the TTR lasted another 6 months, I want a bike that will NOT be outgrown

The WR250F feels lots taller, even though it's not much taller at all, fit/feel goes to the CRF250X right now

I really need to find a KTM dealer

They lowered the seat height on the WR250 and 450 for 2005. Go back and check them again.

My guess is that she would like the CRF better, but you'd like the maintaince better on the WR (less of it).

Good luck either way,

I just checked, still taller than the CRF250X

the KTM 250 EXC RACING thumper has an even lower seat hight, and it does not have the dreaded "for offroad use only" on the MSO

this is a big plus, as we can get plates for it then!

We may go this route

Have you looked at a KTM 200EXC? I think there are a couple of lady on here with those. I had a 300 and it is much easier to ride than any MX 250. The 200 is supposed to be even easier to ride cause it is very light.

You can get a Kubalink (sp?) for the CRF250X. I think it lowers it 1.5". You can also shave the seat, and lower the suspension.

I wanted a X as a 2nd bike but the unicam design scared me away.

Cheers,